New 2003 owner. What are the first things you did?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rickrick123

Reaction score
Thanks all for the information on the gas tank. I may just deal with it. I really don't have the stuff to drop the tank myself and my shop is us busy AF lately and wouldn't be able to look at it for a couple weeks anyway. We'll just not fill all the way for now and for me I think it's only the front fitting since nothing ever leaks or smells from the back.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I could do it over, and I might 1 day, I'd use a fuel resistant sealant that should stay pliable. I suspect the epoxy didn't stay sealed because it didn't have give.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same code here. I carry the Hypertech with me because it also reads codes and can clear them.
True story. I'm on my way to get the required annual safety and emission inspection. About a mile from the inspection station, the CEL, SES, or whatever, light comes on. I head back home and reset the code (P0442), then right back to the inspection station. Failed the emissions test. Apparently it takes a drive cycle to actually clear the codes out of the computer. We are allowed one Not Ready as long as the CEL light is not on. I had two Not Ready sensors for some reason. Drove it around a few days, went back to the inspection station and passed.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My fuel pump failed last night. Sounded a bit funny when I left work, stopped at the chiropractors and it was failed when I went to leave. I already know the tank is leaking a bit when full so I will plastic weld the seam in the valve while I have it removed. The fuel tank valves are supposedly made of HDPE and so are most milk jugs so the plastic for welding is readily available.

I've successfully plastic welded numerous plastic items on our vehicles ever since I bought the Harbor Freight plastic welder. It's easy, though does take some getting used to, and it really works well. The most difficult thing can be finding the right plastic material to use for welding rods. I have started just going to the junkyard and buying and broken piece of trim when needed for most things, it ensures I have the right plastic. Generally I melt a V shape into the seam or joint with the iron and then go back over it with the iron and plastic to fill it back in. Once it cools it's welded and good as new or maybe better.

Here's the plastic welder I have, it's $20 now:
https://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt-iron-plastic-welding-kit-60662.html

Here's the symbol for HDPE so you can look for it around your house if you choose to.
1703907000725.png

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I somehow missed how old this thread is. :-(
Not that old, and good info about plastic welding. Let us know how it turns out if you do the weld repair.

I had another P0442 code this week. It's annoying getting the check engine light every few months and having to plan my fuel fill ups.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The plan is to drain and remove the tank and fix the leak today and tomorrow, I'm slow due to rheumatoid arthritis. The new pump will arrive Tuesday.

On the P0442 this may not help, but maybe it will. It took me like 2 years to finally repair the issue on my daughters 2003 Monte Carlo. I smoke tested it time and time and time again and tested the sensors never finding an issue with the sensors. I found several very minor leaks or slightly loose fittings and repaired them and thought I had fixed it each time just to have it fail the evap self-test a few weeks or months later again. I had replaced every vacuum line, o-ring, the purge and vent valves, replaced seal on the tank pressure sensor. In the end I realized every time the CEL came on recently due to P0442 the tank pressure sensor had popped out a little which tore the seal each time. Previously I had swapped the seal and that seemed good. This time I swapped the tank pressure sensor and it finally resolved it. My theory is the tank pressure would get too high due to sensor intermittently failing and the sensor is just held in by the seal so it unseats itself. This sensor had been tested good several times.

I'm kinda lucky that we have 2 of these Monte Carlo's as daily drivers so parts swaps are easy for testing when I get stumped, but I also have tons of spare parts for them after 1 was totaled and another was bought for parts of course stripped everything I could save from both.

Anyway, it may be something that for some reason you're over looking like I was.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The P0442 codes can be frustrating. The gas cap or dirt around the gas cap lock and seal area are common as well. Take a rag with WD40 on it and wipe the entire fill neck area clean, especially where the gas cap seal contacts. If you need a sealant for small cracks or holes that may come in contact with fuel, that Seal All sealant is fuel resistant and seals very well and remains flexible over time. It's available at Home Cheapo and Walmart.

Seal-All-Adhesive.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire