New battery, but still won't start on 2000 EB 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you hooked the positive cable up wrong. I'll check my 2000 wiring book later.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Steve McGarrett
Reaction score
Thanks for the sharp eyes Stamp! I hooked that up and sure enough I now have lights, radio, etc.....but back to square one in that nothing happens with the starter. No clicking, no attempt to turn over at all. Even if it was the starter I would think I'd at least hear an attempt for it to start?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Voltmeter or test light time now. A meter will give you accurate voltage readings, the test light will give you ballpark voltage readings.

OP
OP
Steve McGarrett
Reaction score
Just a quick update as we've been out of town. Decided it couldn't hurt to do the ol' bang the starter w/ a hammer trick, but no difference. I have a volt meter, but it's mainly for show as I don't know how to use it :( It's a free Harbor Freight model, but should be able to do the trick. Any primer posts I could refer to?

Also tried using a screwdriver on the solenoid and no luck that way either...

OP
OP
Steve McGarrett
Reaction score
Good evening all. Well we have a verdict---it was the starter. The shop replaced it and it fired right up. On one hand I'm happy to have it fixed, but on the other hand if I should have just replaced it as long as I was under it in the cold. Oh well.

Thanks to all for your help!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually the starter will give a click, a clunk, something. You had a DoA one. Happens, glad your up and running.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually the starter will give a click, a clunk, something. You had a DoA one. Happens, glad your up and running.

They definitely normally do but my TC went out last year at 200K+ and 3 starts it hesitated just a bit when I turned the key. I though I hadn't turned the key far enough but then cranked normally. 3 times then a day or two later on the 4th time NOTHING.
I had my son try to start as I got down there and beat on it and checked for burned/corroded wires going into winding even jumped the wires..Nothing. Must have been brushes let go.