New Expy- few issues-few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebuckaman

Reaction score
Just bought a 2004 XLT 4wd with 109k. It seems that all of the fluids (besides oil) are original, as well as plugs. Truck drives out nice, but I will be swapping these fluids out soon (plugs as well, just need to get the courage to try them).

I have two issues that have popped up since I bought it. One is a flapping noise from the passenger door area based on buffeting wind from a semi or based on higher speeds. I am thinking it is the small piece of cladding near the front wheel well, but I stuffed it with egg crate foam and it is still there.

Second is a whining noise only when I am on the gas. When I let off, the whining goes away. Any ideas. I'm hoping it goes away with new fluids.

BTW, what fluids for:

Front-rear diff-
Transfer case-
trans fluid

Thanks!

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change (flush) your coolant, too. Just because it meets freezing temp requirements doesn't meant that its corrosion inhibitors are still up to spec.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its time for the 100K change...all fluids...ALL filters...coil over plugs, sparks, check the upper lower ball joints...should be time for them...

OP
OP
T

thebuckaman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I did look in the owners manual on the fluids, but I have read conflicting things on what actual fluids to use since TSB's have been released.

What engine oils do you guys use? Anyone use 0w20?

Front-rear diff- 75w90 or I have heard 75w140. needs to be synthetic correct?
Transfer case- Any Mercon trans fluid?
trans fluid- Any Mercon V fluid ok? Cant be any multi platform fluid correct?

Does anyone have a link to tips and tricks for doing the spark plugs without breaking them?

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I did look in the owners manual on the fluids, but I have read conflicting things on what actual fluids to use since TSB's have been released.

What engine oils do you guys use? Anyone use 0w20?

Front-rear diff- 75w90 or I have heard 75w140. needs to be synthetic correct?
Transfer case- Any Mercon trans fluid?
trans fluid- Any Mercon V fluid ok? Cant be any multi platform fluid correct?

Does anyone have a link to tips and tricks for doing the spark plugs without breaking them?

I run 5W-20 in my Expy. I use all synthetic.

AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide

OP
OP
T

thebuckaman

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Also, is it 75w90 in front diff and 75w140 rear now?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are u reading the manual or whats on the site? you could call the dealership parts store and they'll tell u all factory weight for all the fluids or go to autozone...walmart...napa...o'reilly...anywhere that would have the books to look them up in the aisle...or ask them to look it up too...

ALSO...you can go on autozone.com and put in the vehicle information and it'll tell u everything as well

OP
OP
T

thebuckaman

Reaction score
It's conflicting. Manual States 75w90 for both. Chiltons States 75w90 for front and 75w140 rear. There is a tsb folks are quoting online that says the 140 oil replaces the 90 oil. I will call the dealership today

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's conflicting. Manual States 75w90 for both. Chiltons States 75w90 for front and 75w140 rear. There is a tsb folks are quoting online that says the 140 oil replaces the 90 oil. I will call the dealership today

Again if you open the link I posted it gives you all the amounts and weights. The REAR is 75W140 whether standard or limited slip differential

AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide