New Guy looking for some suggestions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just have a few random problems with my Expedition. Ive owned it for only about 6 months, and she's got 165,000 miles on her. Im just trying to fix everything to keep her running perfect.
First off: My temperature thermometer that is on the overhead console doesnt work. It doesnt display anything at all. It was working up until about two weeks ago…?
Second: My AC doesn't seem to be working properly. It completely stops blowing when its "under load" or on the accelerator. On top of that it doesnt blow cold, just cool. Now here is the catch; ive already emptied it, checked for leaks, & charged it. First time I did it I over charged it. The second time I did it correctly to the proper pressure reading. But still it wont blow cold. Im lot losing pressure, ive checked. And Im not visibly seeing any leaks. The only other thing is I can hear the compressor clicking on and off very frequently, like every 15-20 seconds. Does anyone have any ideas??? Its freakin hot here and I want my AC to blow freakin snow flakes!! Hahaha
And third: When people refer to "changing out the bushings" what are they referring to? I know its suspension, but what bushings? Where are they?? Shoud I replace mine? Ive already installed all new shocks.
THANKS!!!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1st one i think is a common problem. and its a grounding problem. i know its a wiring issue. if i remember right you take off the cover and find what wire isnt connecting right. i dont have it. but someone will let you know more.

2nd. check this out. http://www.fordexpeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=1359 it seems to be the same problem.

3rd. bushings are where metal touches metal and theres movement there. ie, where your shock bolts go theres a bushing there. tie rods theres bushing where theres a joint. so anywhere theres movement and metal to metal or a bolt.

hope that helps.

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your a/c is suppose to shut off when you are at wide open throttle, thats something you can not change, try not to go wot and see if it stays cold.

Now if it is short cycling (not staying on constantly) then you need to buy a few large cans of freon and recharge your system, the system hols 64 ounces of freon, thats alot of freon btw.

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my overhead gauge and its very ommon. Take it out and you will see some rectangular resistors, look carefully at them and one will be ajar. Clean it alittle and resolder it and your good to go:)

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Your a/c is suppose to shut off when you are at wide open throttle, thats something you can not change, try not to go wot and see if it stays cold.

Now if it is short cycling (not staying on constantly) then you need to buy a few large cans of freon and recharge your system, the system hols 64 ounces of freon, thats alot of freon btw.
yes its a lot of freon if you have rear A/C. OP never said he has rear a/c so he would be way overcharged on freon if he put 64 oz in the system

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
most likely defalting to defrost this happens when their is lose of vacuum

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
very true but the blower shouldn't quit working or i am miss understanding the OP

True, I was assuming he meant the air just started blowing warm, I do tend to misread items from time to time, but yes, if the air defaults to the defrost vents then I would say vacuum problem, but if it is blowing out of the vents and starts blowing warm at wot, then I would say it is functioning properly.

OP's turn to clarify:shrug:

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One more thing about ac, when you read your gauge, you want to have the inside of the vehicle as cool as you can get it in order to get a proper reading, if you just stick the gauge and can of freon on the port when the inside temp is really hot, it will not give you an accurate reading. Either way, look at the ac sticker under the hood and see how many ounces your system holds, just so you have an idea as to how much you have already put in the system, and it will give you a decent idea for how much more you might need.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok i got what you are saying..

and i just went through this my expy with rear air holds 3.8lbs of refrigerant and i am guessing that a non rear air would only around 1.8.

so 64 ouces is way to much

and when you charge the system it needs to be running and you should have a box house style fan in front of the grill to get as much air flow as possible so you get the proper reading