New guy, needs some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nokturnal

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I bought this Expedition and the last few days I've been trying to get the motor all tuned up and running nicely. What I've done so far (maintenance wise)

Cleaned throttle body and all ports in it and the elbow
Had a 2 step machine fuel system clean done
Oil Changed
Seafoamed twice (using brake booster)
Spark plugs/wires changed
New battery terminals
Cleaned MAF sensor a little bit (didn't remove it, just sprayed it the best I could without taking it all apart)
Changed Rear Diff Fluid
Replaced Both Coil
Gotts Mod W/New Filter
Changed Fuel Filter
Cleaned IAC and Changed Gasket

Will be doing soon..
Transmission flush
Checking Fuel Pump

Will be doing within the next 6 months..
New exhaust system and cat
Programmer

The motor has 210,000 on it. Just looking for recommendations for things to check or do to get the motor running stronger, smoother, and more reliable. Anything to help with gas mileage is a plus also. Anything will help me out.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
youve got a good start there... the #2 miss fire is probly the coil its self $40 at autozone... for the egr low flow is most likly the DPFE. when you change it be sure to use neopreme hoses not rubber vaccum lines...also clean the IAC motor and check the PVC line from the valve cover back to the intake, the elbow at the intake is nitorious for wearing out

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nokturnal

Full Access Members
Reaction score
youve got a good start there... the #2 miss fire is probly the coil its self $40 at autozone... for the egr low flow is most likly the DPFE. when you change it be sure to use neopreme hoses not rubber vaccum lines...also clean the IAC motor and check the PVC line from the valve cover back to the intake, the elbow at the intake is nitorious for wearing out

Thanks, this is just the type of info I was looking for. Now I have me something to do tomorrow :)

Small progress everyday leads to big improvements overall :D

OP
OP
N

Nokturnal

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Well I replaced the coils and reset the codes and it seems like all are staying gone now. Tomorrow I'm going to clean the IAC and I got a gasket for it cause it doesn't even have one right now. Also, I check that PVC line, you are talking about the one that goes from the drivers side valve cover up to the intake right? Mine is hard plastic, not rubber, except for right at the ends, and they looked pretty good. Am I looking at the wrong thing? The one on the passenger side coming from the actual PVC valve doesn't look like it's going straight to the intake, I could be wrong. I'll check a little better tomorrow. Also, I changed the rear diff fluid, so that's done now. Anything else I should check? There is a little square box attached to the right of my intake tube right before the throttle body, if I remember correctly it forms a 90 degree turn and goes into the throttle body. Anybody know what that is? I think I remember someone saying it was a filter of some sort. Should I see about replacing that? Anything else I should look into?

Oh and I'm changing the fuel filter tomorrow also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nokturnal

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed fuel filter, cleaned IAC, and installed the new gasket for it today.

Seems to have helped my throttle response a little bit, gonna get the fuel pressure checked next week.

Last edited:

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
glad to here its working out for you... on the pcv line you need to follow it to the back side of the intake there is a little rubber elbow there that breaks down over time and causes a intake leak

OP
OP
N

Nokturnal

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotcha, I'll check on that today...or maybe tomorrow..

I'm hung over as crap...lol, way too much fun in this city. If there's any beer lovers here, the Flying Saucer in Raleigh, North Carolina is where it's at. 200+ beers from all different countries around the world. :cool:

BigBill

Reaction score
Trans Flush

O.k. all the maint stuff looks good but I do not recommend having a flush done on the trans,something about the machine recycling the fluid pulls the detergent out of the fluid,the trans won't last 6 months after it's done I learned the hard way...Not to mention I've been a certified mechanic for 18 years.If anything,I would drop the pan and change the fluid and filter and if it smells burnt then again in 3 months if it does'nt smell burnt then maybe again in 6 months

OP
OP
N

Nokturnal

Full Access Members
Reaction score
O.k. all the maint stuff looks good but I do not recommend having a flush done on the trans,something about the machine recycling the fluid pulls the detergent out of the fluid,the trans won't last 6 months after it's done I learned the hard way...Not to mention I've been a certified mechanic for 18 years.If anything,I would drop the pan and change the fluid and filter and if it smells burnt then again in 3 months if it does'nt smell burnt then maybe again in 6 months

Yea I have actually been seeing people say that all over online. I think I'm just gonna change the fluid myself and call it good.