New Info on 03 Brake dust problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I just called the Ford Motor Company about the new brakes, and got the same story. The brakes are available for "purchase". How frustrating... the brakes didn't even come out until last week, which makes some of the 2003 Expeditions over the 12/12 warranty. Unfortunately mine is over 12K miles. Seems like Ford should do something about the problem if so many people are complaining :(

The representative that I spoke to said that they only receive about 5% of the complaints consumers have because usually no one wants to call the company direct. If anyone is interested, here is the number.

Phone: 800-392-3673
800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)

It can't hurt to have it documented :)

G

Hi all...

Not sure if this is related but....

I used to have a Gran Prix with 4w disc. The front wheels stayed black all of the time from the brake dust. I was visiting a friend that was a service writer for a GM dealer and he told me that the excessive dust was because I was not using the parking brake. I told him he was nuts but he went on to explain that the threaded pistons used for the parking brake in the rear calipers would not stay in contact with the pads unless I frequently used the parking brake to periodically "adjust them" out. Without turning the threads to move the pistons out (in) enough to contact the back of the rear pads the car was more or less only using the front brakes.

Once I started using the parking brake regularly the brake dust problem all but went away.

My habitual use of the parking brake has followed me for a long time and I now do it with my expy. I have front semi-metallic pads and I have no brake dust problems at all.

I would be interested to hear Ford's comments on this.

:cheers:

-Jay

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, wouldn't you be using the parking brakes when you park and stop the vehicle. At this time, your rear brake pads would have been "adjusted" and would be adjusted at every instance you set the parking brake. Or do I have this wrong?

With the parking brakes engaged, this pushes the pistons against the pads which in turn press against the rotors.

If you are using your parking brakes to engage the rear brakes to slow down, then you are taking the load off the front brakes, but I wonder if the reduction in load would be significant enough because the EXPY is far heavier than a Gran Prix.

G

uh....

I guess that was a little unclear...

:D

No... The parking brake is only used when the vehicle is parked and off. There was something about the parking brake mechanism that "adjusted" itself when used reglarly that otherwise would not have been done. By engaging the parking brake everytime I shut of the ignition, the pistons were apparently "adjusted" to be more in contact with the pads than they would have been had I not used the parking brake.

I don't recommend using the parking brake to slow down. ;) Unless of course streets are icy and your in the mood for a "donut". ;)

-Jay

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
jwilson,

your experience is interesting, but the service manager that you are talking about was talking about rear drum brakes. Those brakes had adjusters that operated off of the parking brake, or when you used the brakes in reverse.

Two items about brakes:
First, at the BEST, the rear brakes only contribute 30% of the stopping power of the vehicle because of weight transfer to the front during stopping. This is why front brakes are larger.
Second, unlike drum brakes, disc brakes are always self adjusting, or should be if there is no air in the system, etc.

I know that with my '98 EB, my front rims were always black with the OEM pads (semi-metallic), and I always use my parking brake when the Exby is parked (why screw with the tranny, and make it do all the work?). When I changed to ceramics, I hardly have to clean them becuase of the reduced dusting.

G

hey, kidtriton here (using kidtriton-2, my regular login wont work)

I got the new pads installed on my 03 yesterday, i also washed the wheels real good, so we will see how the new ones do as far as dust.

G

I don't know about the parking brake thing or not, but I always set mine when I park. I have a 99 expy and don't have much problem with brake dust. I get a little, but not nearly as much as I have seen on the 03 and 04's. Of course I have the saw blade wheels which may prevent as much dust getting to the outside of the rim. My 2 cents.........

G

actually....

My service adjuster WAS talking about disc brakes. I do know the difference and so did he. Note where I wrote pistons and PADS not pistons and shoes.

Anyway....

I just thought it might be helpful to share a related experience.

Sorry for the tangent chasing.

-Cheers,

-Jay

falcn

Reaction score
Originally posted by jwilson
actually....

My service adjuster WAS talking about disc brakes. I do know the difference and so did he. Note where I wrote pistons and PADS not pistons and shoes.

Anyway....

I just thought it might be helpful to share a related experience.

Sorry for the tangent chasing.

-Cheers,

-Jay

Here's bringing up an old thread, but on the early Expy's the Parking/E-brake does not use the disc brake pads - on the inside of the rotor hub is a mini-drum brake set-up - complete with its own set of brake shoes - so this suggested fix won't work on my truck - not that I have noticed a build-up of brake dust.