New member, just bought an 08 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all. Recently bought an 08 Expedition EB 4x4, with 114k. Really like it so far, but I do have a few questions:

1. I have read some about the transmission reflash. My rig definitely shifts funky both upshifting and downshifting from 1-2. Can someone point me to the correct TSB # ?

2. The front power windows are sluggish. Is there a fix for that?

3. Is it common for the rear shock to be out already? I get a fair amount of "bounce" when going through dips, over bridges, etc.

4. The "liftglass" seems to work when it wants to, and sometimes doesn't work. Is there a known issue with that system?

5. If I remove the radio, what all other systems are affected? It does not have heated/cooled seats, or adjustable pedals. Are the message center functions or steering wheel controls affected in any way?

Thanks for reading! Any tips, tricks, or nice upgrades, let me know!

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can answer some questions in regards to #2, a (sometimes) fix for the sluggish front windows in silicone spray that you get at the auto parts store, you simply spray the window tracks and edges and it should speed up a bit
And in regards to #5, if you remove the radio altogether I have no idea what is effected but if you replace it with a aftermarket unit as long it retains he same plug-ins and wiring as the OEM head unit then you should be good as far as message center and compass, mirror, etc, but an issue I had was the previous owner of my 06 replaced he radio with a clarion double din and never purchased the cable to connect the factory rear DVD to the new radio and now my rear does not work because it is not plugged in...

Also welcome! And don't be afraid to post some thread for your question in the appropriate forums for each question, might get some quicker/better answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2. The front power windows are sluggish. Is there a fix for that?

If the suggestion above doesn't bring you any relief, you may end up having to live with it. My power windows are slow as well and the motors/regulators on Fords are known to die prematurely. I had them replaced in my last 3 Ford/Mercury vehicles in at least one front window when they finally stopped moving entirely.

3. Is it common for the rear shock to be out already? I get a fair amount of "bounce" when going through dips, over bridges, etc.

I don't know how common it is, but my rear passenger side strut developed a "catastrophic leak" by 78,*** miles. It's a pricey fix if you end up paying someone to replace it. The driver side is still fine at 92,*** miles.

4. The "liftglass" seems to work when it wants to, and sometimes doesn't work. Is there a known issue with that system?

Not that I am aware of. Does the latch simply not release or is there is a different issue with it? if it's just the latch not releasing, try a generous helping of WD40.

5. If I remove the radio, what all other systems are affected? It does not have heated/cooled seats, or adjustable pedals. Are the message center functions or steering wheel controls affected in any way?

Anything unrelated to the stereo will be unaffected. You will of course lose stereo steering wheel controls unless you get a cable or module for your new headunit to maintain those functions.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
windows being sluggish is common...u can grease the tracks and that's about it...ppl have changed out the motors and still sluggish...good luck

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow guys thanks for the help!

One more thing. The rear air system only blows out of the roof vents,even if it's set to heat. I have done some looking around here and seems like issues like this can be common. Haven't really got clear answers on how to fix tho. Where are the blend doors located?
Thanks again!

Expywhite10

Reaction score
My 2010 had very sluggish windows from about 50k on. I ended up having to replace the window regulators for both front windows as both stopped working at different times. I replaced the front driver's side in November 2014 and the passenger side in June 2015. On the driver's side I ended up replacing the regulator and the motor although the motor was fine. The motor seems to be a Ford only part. I bought the motor first from a Ford only part shop in my area, but the motor was only returnable if "i didn't plug it in to test it". The regulators are known to go bad and cause slow operation on the Expedition. I bought the aftermarket Dorman regulators and so far they are way faster then original and running great.

Dorman 749-542 Ford/Lincoln Front Driver Side Power Window Regulator
Dorman 749-543 Ford/Lincoln Front Passenger Side Power Window Regulator

Both on Amazon for about $90 a piece. The motor was $165 at the dealer.

There is a great video on YouTube that shows the replacement process; it shows each step almost to the T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x31mURZeWWw

As for the struts, mine are gone at 80k. Rancho Quicklifts should be delivered to me by end of the week.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow guys thanks for the help!

One more thing. The rear air system only blows out of the roof vents,even if it's set to heat. I have done some looking around here and seems like issues like this can be common. Haven't really got clear answers on how to fix tho. Where are the blend doors located?
Thanks again!

The rear air should blow cold from the roof vents and hot from the floor and side vent. In regards to the location of the auxiliary blend door, quote from the 2011 manual:

An optional auxiliary climate control system is available. The system is a one-piece unit that is located on the RH side of the vehicle between the side windows and the floorpan, behind the rear wheel well. The driver has primary control of the auxiliary climate control system or can transfer control to a rear passenger control panel.

The '08 is probably the same.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah but it doesn't. Cold or hot it all comes out the top. That to me isn't right.

On the shocks I'm leaning toward replacing just the shock itself, not the spring. What are your thoughts on that?

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but it doesn't. Cold or hot it all comes out the top. That to me isn't right.

On the shocks I'm leaning toward replacing just the shock itself, not the spring. What are your thoughts on that?

Bilsteins are pretty cheap for the amount of quality they provide, seem to be pretty good shocks I believe I had them on my old hummer and I am about to put them on my 2006 when I get the lift mounted. I'd check out Bilstein 4600s for your third gen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk