New Owner :) - Questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

synapse888

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a 2003 Expy Eddie Bauer 4X4 and couldn't be happier with my purchase. It has 171k miles. It has mostly sat for the last two years, but runs and drives fine.

I do have some questions etc

1 - I would like to order some touch up paint. Color code is E9 which is laser red metallic, but I can't figure out what the color code for the silver stuff on lower part of the vehicle. Anybody know that code?
2 - I would quickly like to make it sound better/deeper (but not loud just to be loud). I've read through a few threads and it seems like a new flowmaster muffler might be the play here? I've listened to a bunch of youytube videos of like the 40 a 44? and a 50? Any general recommendations (or links to threads I might have missed) that can make my expy sound better? Was figuring I would get a K&N intake as that appears to make it sound better too? And
3 - When I shift into reverse, I get the message "Check Backup Aid"...which I assume means the backup sensors aren't working correctly? Any ideas on how to resolve that?
4 - The third row seating switches don't do anything (seats stuck are down). Hoping that's a fuse...but haven't looked into it yet. Not a big deal anyway because they would mostly be down for cargo.
5 - I think it would be cool to replace the interior light assemblies with something more modern/(to get rid of the yellow toned lighting). Not sure if they make such a thing but figure this is the place to ask.
6 - Is there a thread or something that covers exterior mods people have done?
7 - The AC doesn't work, but assuming that's not something simple I could look into, I will end up paying someone to make it work.
8 - I am going to put in a new stereo and subs but probably don't need your fine folks' guidance with that one.
9 - The top position of the steering wheel is pretty funky/overly worn. Guess finding a replacement is the approach for that one?
10 - Is there a go-to magnetic cell phone mount around these parts?
11 - Only came with one key, what is the best way to get an additional one made?
12 - If I wanted to search for parts for this is there like a platform code or something I should be using? I have a VW Golf R, and that platform is known MQB. Is there something similar for these vehicles (knowing they share lots with an F150, is it?)
13 - What type of replacement wheels should I look for...is it like by bolt pattern or something?

***Big/most important item for last***
14 - I think this vehicle was pretty well maintained, but what maintenance items should I tackle...given the vintage, miles, and the fact that it hasn't seen much use the last two years. I'm sure there will be a lot so please prioritize the work :) (it has a brand new brake line as the old one rusted out)

I'm excited to join this community and thank you so much for any advice any guidance!!

truck2.jpg

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flowmaster had a drone at highway speed, don't know if that is still the case. I'd opt for a Borla set up.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@synapse888 Nice rig. Someone else on here just asked the same question about maintenance for an 03 the other day. Below are answers to a couple of your questions, and what I told them about maintenance.
BTW Wheel bolt pattern is 6x135 mm. No problem finding wheels.
I had an AC problem too, ended up needing a new condensor for about $500. I don't do AC so I had a dude handle it.

I had to replace my intake manifold to repair a coolant leak, and I have a rattle sound on startup so will replace the timing chains and guides soon. Those are the biggest weak links on these. Other than that, I change the oil every 7500 w synthetic oil and Motorcraft filter. Trans, power steering, differentials, coolant, transfer case fluid services every 60k. Fuel filter every 30k (fuel pump will fail if neglected).
Remove and clean the throttle body and bleed the brakes if those have not been done already.
A common problem I have not had is burned out fuel pump relay (on the fuse panel). I have not seen any way to prevent this, but lots of info on how to repair.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
11 - Only came with one key, what is the best way to get an additional one made?

Do you have a laptop ? Download ForScan program, and program your own keys. It's a free program, but you'll need to buy the USB to OBDII adapter cable to connect your laptop to the truck's OBDII port there below the right knee bolster. You can just buy the blank key/FOB from Amazon, and have the key cut at any Home Depot for free ( or a minimal $3 charge...).

ForScan Downloads

Ford One Piece Key FOB

Programming Ford Key and FOB

Step-by-Step Ford Key Fob Programming Instructions

1. Close the car doors, then open the driver-side door. Press the UNLOCK button on the driver-side door.
  2. Next, turn the ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times. Do this within 10 seconds, making sure the 8th time ends on RUN. When you’ve entered programming mode, the door locks will lock and unlock. (Note: If the doors don’t cycle, turn the key faster. Your car may not have keyless entry if you still can’t get the doors locks to cycle.)
  3. Press any button on the Ford remote to be programmed. Do this within 8 seconds. The door locks will cycle again to confirm the keyless entry remote is programmed and ready to use.
  4. Have a second remote key fob? Again, press any button on the remote within 8 seconds to cycle the door locks. Repeat this step for any additional key fobs.
  5. Finally, turn the ignition to OFF. The locks will again cycle to confirm programming is complete.

Transponder Key Programming

If you do not have ForScan on a laptop, you must have 2 original keys that start your engine to perform this procedure. If you only have one working key or none at all it must be programmed by a dealer or locksmith! Your New (unprogrammed) key must also be cut prior to performing this procedure.

Please Note: If one of your keys is a cloned key from a hardware store this procedure will NOT work. This procedure requires original programmed keys.
1. Insert an existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (just shy of starting the car Without cranking the engine) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay in ON position for at least one second.
3. Remove the existing key and WITHIN TEN SECONDS, insert a second working key and turn to ON and then back to OFF. Ignition must be on for at least one second but no more than ten seconds. Remove key.
4. Insert the New (unprogrammed) key before twenty seconds have elapsed and turn to ON. Leave it in the ON position for at least one second and turn back to OFF.
5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate the new key has been successfully programmed.

Setting Up Your Ford Memory Seats

Once you’ve got your seat, mirrors, telescopic steering column, and power pedals in the proper place, turn the key to put the ignition in the “On” position. Once you’ve got the power on, you’ll notice three buttons on the side panel of the driver’s side door. Press and hold the number 1 button for about five seconds until you hear a single chime. After the chime sounds, let go of the button and your seat settings have been saved! To test it out, simply move something a hair and press the button to watch it go back to your set position.

Setting Up Ford Key Fob Memory

For those times when you want your seat to be ready for you before you get inside your Ford vehicle, the key fob that you received with your vehicle can activate the memory seats for you! To sync your key fob with your memory seats, do everything we talked about earlier, except this time keep holding the appropriate memory button until you hear the chime twice. As soon as you hear the second chime, press the lock button on your key fob immediately. Now, every time you press the unlock button, your seat will automatically adjust to your preferred settings. This is especially helpful if you make use out of the easy entry and easy exit feature which moves the steering wheel and seat each time you get in and get out of your Ford.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Do you have a laptop ? Download ForScan program, and program your own keys. It's a free program, but you'll need to buy the USB to OBDII adapter cable to connect your laptop to the truck's OBDII port there below the right knee bolster. You can just buy the blank key/FOB from Amazon, and have the key cut at any Home Depot for free ( or a minimal $3 charge...).

ForScan Downloads

Ford One Piece Key FOB

Programming Ford Key and FOB

Step-by-Step Ford Key Fob Programming Instructions

1. Close the car doors, then open the driver-side door. Press the UNLOCK button on the driver-side door.
  2. Next, turn the ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times. Do this within 10 seconds, making sure the 8th time ends on RUN. When you’ve entered programming mode, the door locks will lock and unlock. (Note: If the doors don’t cycle, turn the key faster. Your car may not have keyless entry if you still can’t get the doors locks to cycle.)
  3. Press any button on the Ford remote to be programmed. Do this within 8 seconds. The door locks will cycle again to confirm the keyless entry remote is programmed and ready to use.
  4. Have a second remote key fob? Again, press any button on the remote within 8 seconds to cycle the door locks. Repeat this step for any additional key fobs.
  5. Finally, turn the ignition to OFF. The locks will again cycle to confirm programming is complete.

Transponder Key Programming

If you do not have ForScan on a laptop, you must have 2 original keys that start your engine to perform this procedure. If you only have one working key or none at all it must be programmed by a dealer or locksmith! Your New (unprogrammed) key must also be cut prior to performing this procedure.

Please Note: If one of your keys is a cloned key from a hardware store this procedure will NOT work. This procedure requires original programmed keys.
1. Insert an existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (just shy of starting the car Without cranking the engine) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay in ON position for at least one second.
3. Remove the existing key and WITHIN TEN SECONDS, insert a second working key and turn to ON and then back to OFF. Ignition must be on for at least one second but no more than ten seconds. Remove key.
4. Insert the New (unprogrammed) key before twenty seconds have elapsed and turn to ON. Leave it in the ON position for at least one second and turn back to OFF.
5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate the new key has been successfully programmed.

Setting Up Your Ford Memory Seats

Once you’ve got your seat, mirrors, telescopic steering column, and power pedals in the proper place, turn the key to put the ignition in the “On” position. Once you’ve got the power on, you’ll notice three buttons on the side panel of the driver’s side door. Press and hold the number 1 button for about five seconds until you hear a single chime. After the chime sounds, let go of the button and your seat settings have been saved! To test it out, simply move something a hair and press the button to watch it go back to your set position.

Setting Up Ford Key Fob Memory

For those times when you want your seat to be ready for you before you get inside your Ford vehicle, the key fob that you received with your vehicle can activate the memory seats for you! To sync your key fob with your memory seats, do everything we talked about earlier, except this time keep holding the appropriate memory button until you hear the chime twice. As soon as you hear the second chime, press the lock button on your key fob immediately. Now, every time you press the unlock button, your seat will automatically adjust to your preferred settings. This is especially helpful if you make use out of the easy entry and easy exit feature which moves the steering wheel and seat each time you get in and get out of your Ford.

@Hamfisted Any thoughts on the wireless OBD connector? Alot more $ but I was thinking it might be cool to be able to put the computer on my workbench instead of the front seat. Not sure if it is worth the money though (feeling poor after buying timing stuff, which I haven't had time to install).

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bluetooth adapters are ok for some uses, but I'm not sure they're reliable enough for programming use. When I'm making changes to the ECM or security modules I prefer a wired connection between the laptop and the vehicle.

Jstekk

Reaction score
I have a really loud clamoring noise from the back of my vehicle sounds like my exhaust is slapping the frame but it's kind of scary because it's so loud and I think it might be something big is there any way that anybody can help me tell me what it is please. I'm a disabled veteran, and I need my vehicle if I lose it I could pass away in the process of trying to find a new one and I don't have any money saved up I just got this vehicle after a crash surprisingly enough I had $3200 saved in my bank then, and now I don't have any money at all because it's immediately after I spent it on this vehicle, and this is the end of my life if anything bad happens, I can't walk and I have no liver. And I only make $800 a month. And I had no friends or family. Please comment with your ideas on what the loud clamoring noise in the back of the vehicle is. Almost sounds a Powerball hamster wheel with odd metal parts inside of the powerballs, like two powerballs.

Last edited:

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think that with the VA and SSDI You'd be make more than $800 a month. As a disabled vet myself I'm aware of numerous avenues and programs you can avail yourself to.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 - I would like to order some touch up paint. Color code is E9 which is laser red metallic, but I can't figure out what the color code for the silver stuff on lower part of the vehicle. Anybody know that code? should be 2 codes on the door jam or door VIN label
2 - I would quickly like to make it sound better/deeper (but not loud just to be loud). I've read through a few threads and it seems like a new flowmaster muffler might be the play here? I've listened to a bunch of youytube videos of like the 40 a 44? and a 50? Any general recommendations (or links to threads I might have missed) that can make my expy sound better? Was figuring I would get a K&N intake as that appears to make it sound better too? K&N filter will not change sound...NEVER EVER...go with the flowmaster 40...i have dual 40s and love the sound...before i had dual setup i had the single swept side flowmaster 40 on it...i wanted more and louder so i went duals...it can still be louder
3 - When I shift into reverse, I get the message "Check Backup Aid"...which I assume means the backup sensors aren't working correctly? or something in that system Any ideas on how to resolve that? could be a few things so you will need to troubleshoot them
4 - The third row seating switches don't do anything (seats stuck are down). Hoping that's a fuse...but haven't looked into it yet. Not a big deal anyway because they would mostly be down for cargo. fuse/relay/switch/wiring...motor should still be good
5 - I think it would be cool to replace the interior light assemblies with something more modern/(to get rid of the yellow toned lighting). Not sure if they make such a thing but figure this is the place to ask. sylvanialights.com and go to auto lights...put in info and print out list...then go to superbrightleds.com and order the LEDs
6 - Is there a thread or something that covers exterior mods people have done? go to exterior section and ppl post in areas not related so just keep hitting new post or search for what u want in the forum
7 - The AC doesn't work, but assuming that's not something simple I could look into, I will end up paying someone to make it work. yes will need to pay someone especially if u have rear...too many things that could be bad...could easily be $2K job depending
8 - I am going to put in a new stereo and subs but probably don't need your fine folks' guidance with that one. check me out...my signature tells it all
9 - The top position of the steering wheel is pretty funky/overly worn. Guess finding a replacement is the approach for that one? clean...cover...or replace
10 - Is there a go-to magnetic cell phone mount around these parts? scoche.com
11 - Only came with one key, what is the best way to get an additional one made? get new key from ford cut...some ppl have bought the chipped key from amazon/ebay 50/50 shot...once its cut you can program it yourself or pay $150 for them to do what u can from youtube
12 - If I wanted to search for parts for this is there like a platform code or something I should be using? I have a VW Golf R, and that platform is known MQB. Is there something similar for these vehicles (knowing they share lots with an F150, is it?) idk...never heard of one in my 11yrs on here
13 - What type of replacement wheels should I look for...is it like by bolt pattern or something? 6x135mm

***Big/most important item for last***
14 - I think this vehicle was pretty well maintained, but what maintenance items should I tackle...given the vintage, miles, and the fact that it hasn't seen much use the last two years. I'm sure there will be a lot so please prioritize the work :) (it has a brand new brake line as the old one rusted out)
everything...plugs...coils...fluids...control arms (ball joints should be gone)...battery...thermostat to jet high flow thermo...alt...remove clutch fan and install e-fans...flush a/c...check the abs module...brakes/rotors...fuel injectors...new oil pan gasket...head gasket...valve cover gasket...

I'm excited to join this community and thank you so much for any advice any guidance!!

View attachment 70924

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire