New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put the Michelin Cross Climates on last September. I live in the NE Ohio snowbelt and I am completely satisfied. Dry open road...quiet, wet road with standing water...no problem, slush, ice and snow...bring it on. I'll give props to the previous tires, BFG Advantage T/A. A bit noisy on the road but dependable performance in our climate. I switched because they aren't available on 22" any more.
I am looking to put these on my 22's. I am going to find a set of 18's to run in the summer with a more offroad oriented tire then run the 22's with the crossclimates in the fall and winter. Good to hear the Cross Climates are working good for you.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Toyo open country h/t. My tire shop highly recommended them.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish the Michelin Defender LTX (p-metric) or the Continental TerrainContact H/T were 3MPSF certified.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How are those Michelins working out?

I decided that I need to upgrade to E rated tires after towing 7000 miles this year, I finally found a set of 18x8.5 wheels and am having them painted while my Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 LT tires are shipped in. Can’t wait to get those on. I had the shop test fit the 18” wheels over those big SPP front brakes and there is clearance for them. The wheels are from a 2015 Expedition, it is dirty but will get cleaned and turned black (of course) before being mounted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 5

Johnb21

Reaction score
I picked up the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's. I was looking for something quiet, a smidge performance oriented and looks. I felt the Pirellis hit those categories the best for me. Looked at the Michelin's but didn't like what they offered in the 285x45x22. Almost choose the Cross Climates. I have spare snow wheels, but think the Pirellis would be fine in light snow. I took forever making a decision. My Hankook's where at 60k mi, still had tread, but where getting hard and therefore didn't work well on wet surfaces. Very happy so far with the Pirellis.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can tell you which tires I DON'T recommend. In Dec of 2009 I put a set of Goodrich Long Trail on the Expedition. Since I don't drive the vehicle very much, I expected them to last a long time. But 5 years and only 5,000 miles later, December 2014 all four looked like this. Definitely not safe to drive on.

Discount tire warrantied them and replaced them with new Goodrich Long Trails. But, 5 years and 6,000 miles later, December 2019, they did the same thing, became weather worn and cracked. Once gain, Discount Tire warrantied them. I had them replaced with Bridgestone Duelers. So far so good, but it's only been 4 years, heh.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 7

fordperfaddict

Reaction score
I picked up the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's. I was looking for something quiet, a smidge performance oriented and looks. I felt the Pirellis hit those categories the best for me. Looked at the Michelin's but didn't like what they offered in the 285x45x22. Almost choose the Cross Climates. I have spare snow wheels, but think the Pirellis would be fine in light snow. I took forever making a decision. My Hankook's where at 60k mi, still had tread, but where getting hard and therefore didn't work well on wet surfaces. Very happy so far with the Pirellis.
How’s the ride quality comparatively in terms of comfort ?

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can tell you which tires I DON'T recommend. In Dec of 2009 I put a set of Goodrich Long Trail on the Expedition. Since I don't drive the vehicle very much, I expected them to last a long time. But 5 years and only 5,000 miles later, December 2014 all four looked like this. Definitely not safe to drive on.

Discount tire warrantied them and replaced them with new Goodrich Long Trails. But, 5 years and 6,000 miles later, December 2019, they did the same thing, became weather worn and cracked. Once gain, Discount Tire warrantied them. I had them replaced with Bridgestone Duelers. So far so good, but it's only been 4 years, heh.
I had this issue with my grandmother's car. She drove very little and we had to replace many tires for this reason. Many were covered by warranty, but others were not. I think the issue was caused by the environment the vehicle was parked. It was in a carport in West Palm Beach and I think something about the weather there caused the issue.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How are those Michelins working out?

I decided that I need to upgrade to E rated tires after towing 7000 miles this year, I finally found a set of 18x8.5 wheels and am having them painted while my Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 LT tires are shipped in. Can’t wait to get those on. I had the shop test fit the 18” wheels over those big SPP front brakes and there is clearance for them. The wheels are from a 2015 Expedition, it is dirty but will get cleaned and turned black (of course) before being mounted.

I've gone through a few different variations of the Defenders and have them on my '11 now. I pushed one set to 75k+. My last set went to ~72k. They're great in dry and rain. They handle spirited driving well too. :p I find them to be acceptable in the snow, but not as good as the Pirelli Scorpions I had on there way back when. The Pirellis wore really quickly though and after I burned through 2 sets in ~70k I gave up on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire