New (to me) 17 Plat EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MKMc

Reaction score
Greetings - I recently bought a 2017 Platinum EL (Black/Black) with 9500 miles on it. Previously (about 19 years ago) owned a '99 Eddie Bauer (Red) version of the Expy - that was the truck I used to bring my newborn daughter home from the hospital (she's a freshman at the Univ of Michigan now). Impressions after mostly city driving the last two weeks:

-This truck is tight and quiet - amazed at how small it drives and how quiet and rattle free it is.
-The EcoBoost is all she needs - great engine.
-I have average size hands, but the steering wheel seems small for this size truck.
-This trim level should come with perimeter unlocking (touch handle) and auto open gate (sweep foot under hitch to open), though I do love the old school option of opening by entering the code on the driver's door.
-Service: needs another key fob, a replacement seal on the drivers door (lots of wind noise on top) and the GPS is out - the nav system is inoperable - local dealer is ordering parts. Center 2nd row seat release is also very difficult.
-The clock will not stay on the correct time when I reset it, wondering if that is part of the nav/GPS issue - I have the correct time zone selected in Options.
-No wifi-hot spot option - that seems like a big omission.

Planning some 12 hour trips this summer (wife, 6 yr old, 19 yr old and dog) - hopefully this truck is up to the task.

Great board - cheers - MKMc

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. They are amazing road trip vehicles. I commute 7 hours one way once or twice a month, often with my dog, and sometimes with 2 adults, 3 kids, and 2 dogs, and they all seem to think it’s pretty good.
In some ways, they are outdated compared to other vehicles on the market, but they make up for it in my eyes by everything they do right.
With the keyless start, if you keep the key in your pocket and just walk up and push any of the keypad buttons, it should unlock. You shouldn’t need to enter the whole code. That’s how my wife’s Plat works at least.
For the time, do you have it set to auto-set to GPS time? I’ve found it doesn’t work right in either mine or my wife’s 15. It always sets it to the wrong time. Never quite figured it out, so I just set it manually and leave it at that.

OP
OP
M

MKMc

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply - I will try manually setting it. Agree these are set up with the right mix of truck/size/engine/comforts, etc....

I'll report back after the service visit. MKMc

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the time, do you have it set to auto-set to GPS time? I’ve found it doesn’t work right in either mine or my wife’s 15. It always sets it to the wrong time. Never quite figured it out, so I just set it manually and leave it at that.

I read somewhere GPS time won’t do daylight saving time. Partly because the vehicle isn’t loaded with the tzdatabase.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ann Arbor born....Go Wolverines!

Congrats on your truck too! I have 36,700 on my '17 without a rattle, runs without any hiccups.....and has never been back to the dealer since I drove it home. I hope you like yours as much!

jeff

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Welcome! I had the same wind noise coming from the driver's window. The dealer replaced the window weather strip and it's as quiet as a mouse now.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings - I recently bought a 2017 Platinum EL (Black/Black) with 9500 miles on it. Previously (about 19 years ago) owned a '99 Eddie Bauer (Red) version of the Expy - that was the truck I used to bring my newborn daughter home from the hospital (she's a freshman at the Univ of Michigan now). Impressions after mostly city driving the last two weeks:

-This trim level should come with perimeter unlocking (touch handle) and auto open gate (sweep foot under hitch to open), though I do love the old school option of opening by entering the code on the driver's door.
-Service: needs another key fob, a replacement seal on the drivers door (lots of wind noise on top) and the GPS is out - the nav system is inoperable - local dealer is ordering parts. Center 2nd row seat release is also very difficult.

Planning some 12 hour trips this summer (wife, 6 yr old, 19 yr old and dog) - hopefully this truck is up to the task.

Great board - cheers - MKMc
Congrats on your Truck MKMC and welcome to the Forum.

All the stuff you mentioned above didn't become available until the 2018 models.

On your noise issue, check where the top rear edge of the door meets the front edge of the rear door. They should be in the same plane. My driver's door was out of adjustment. Once they adjusted it the wind noise I was hearing went a way.

I have 7,000 miles on my 17 now. I've driven it back and forth to PA from Here about a 550 mile trip one way twice last summer. It just purrs and it it doesn't even notice the mountains of PA. It takes us about 8 hours with stops. It is very comfortable to drive.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats on your Truck MKMC and welcome to the Forum.

All the stuff you mentioned above didn't become available until the 2018 models.

On your noise issue, check where the top rear edge of the door meets the front edge of the rear door. They should be in the same plane. My driver's door was out of adjustment. Once they adjusted it the wind noise I was hearing went a way.

I have 7,000 miles on my 17 now. I've driven it back and forth to PA from Here about a 550 mile trip one way twice last summer. It just purrs and it it doesn't even notice the mountains of PA. It takes us about 8 hours with stops. It is very comfortable to drive.

i will cheat and say DITTO.
also on noise, double check the seal around the sunroof, it dries out. so at each wash , i open the roof when drying everything and apply some plastic conditioner to keep it soft and pliable.