New [to me] 1998 XLT, Now I need Answers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 1998 Expy XLT with 146K yesterday from a gas station. Drives great, feels good. I used the buying guide as a reference (thanks to all who posted there), and it passed the eye and road test with flying colors. I was wondering where I can get the spec info for My truck.

I am coming from a 1995 F150 XLT, so a similar build as far as I can tell.

What I would like to know is:
How do I tell if I have the Factory tow package. I do have a 7blade on there, but is there a VIN code or something? I tow a 7000lb travel trailer, I should be fine, but I am curious.

When I drove at higher speed (70+) home, any bump made the rear end really jump, is this normal?

I'll post a few pics too, but any advice is welcomed. thanks ahead of time.

OP
OP
A

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
50638-albums952-picture5729.html

I think that may have worked???

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can go to ford ETIS and enter your vin number it will give you information as to what was on the expy when built.

Sent you a PM

Newbs99

Reaction score
I bought a 1998 Expy XLT with 146K yesterday from a gas station. Drives great, feels good. I used the buying guide as a reference (thanks to all who posted there), and it passed the eye and road test with flying colors. I was wondering where I can get the spec info for My truck.

I am coming from a 1995 F150 XLT, so a similar build as far as I can tell.

What I would like to know is:
How do I tell if I have the Factory tow package. I do have a 7blade on there, but is there a VIN code or something? I tow a 7000lb travel trailer, I should be fine, but I am curious.

When I drove at higher speed (70+) home, any bump made the rear end really jump, is this normal?

I'll post a few pics too, but any advice is welcomed. thanks ahead of time.

Jumping? we have realistically the same truck and at around 60 when you hit a bump, it doesn't get squirrelly at all. You might want to get your rear end checked just to be safe. Also, welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
A

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So after a day (more realistically, my kids went to bed) I have more information.

Do people put the idler pully on in the wrong place all the time? I think mine is in the place for the 4.6, where a lazy mechanic would misread the diagram. Its odd because it can mount in both places...

I do have the "heavy duty towing package" according to the VIN lookup (thanks for that, answered a TON of questions) But it still says for transmission "4EOD(4R100)". How do I figure out which I have? Do I climb up under there and look?

About towing with this truck, should I tow in 2wd as I have in the past? does the AT make a difference? I have the 2/4AWD/4H/4L setup, so does one tow better? The only time I have used 4L to tow in the past was backing up a small hill.
The 7 blade tow connector - does the truck have a brake controller built in?

Thanks in advance again. I will be useful when I do the audio system, that's my playground.

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the 5.4L then you have the 4R100, which is just the updated version of the E4OD. Download the owners manual from the Ford website and refer to the towing section.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't have a built in brake controller However you should have the wiring connector for a brake controller already under the dash It should be to the right of the steering column You will need to get a brake controller and the correct wiring adaptor You may also need to check to see if the fuses are installed and any relays that are needed for the trailer tow package

Last edited:

markfrei

Reaction score
I have a recently purchased 98 Expy 4 X 4 with the 4.6 and HD tow PKG. Mine is also really squirley with just a touch of the steering wheel it will send my wife grabbing for the dash and panic holds. Mine has the original shocks and they are SHOT........ at 115000 miles (imagine that!), soon to be replaced and hopefully solve my problem.:buffer:

OP
OP
A

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Mine has the original shocks and they are SHOT"

I thought mine may be too. Are you in an eddie Bauer with the air ride? I am not, and they are the OG motorcrafts, and I am at 147K.