New to me 2011 Expo King Ranch 130k spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobE

Reaction score
Purchased a new to me 2011 Expo King Ranch with 130k mi. When I test drove it, I could feel the rough idle and at wide open throttle it hesitated and the check engine light flashed momentarily. Code scanner didn't display any permanent codes, only a pending misfire on cylinder 6. I knew from experience, as this is my third 3rd gen Expedition, that in all probability the previous owner didn't change the plugs. When I pulled the old plugs, they were definitely worn and the gap was nearly twice the .041 spec of the new plug on the left. The engine purrs like a lion at idle and screams like a tiger at WOT with no hesitation.

IMG_1889.jpeg

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if there was on an '11. That problem was overcame after around '08 MY trucks...head redesign and a move to one piece plugs. ;)

If you've seen a few, you can tell at a glance that those he took out are the later design. Hope this helps :)

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any issue getting them out?

The ones in the back tend to pick up moisture, so a little rust penetrant may be needed to loosen them up a little. You can crank down on the 1-piece plugs pretty hard without them breaking though.