New whip yessir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Been on the forum for bout a month. Growing up, we had a 2002 Navigator and this thing is nostalgic. Named her Blancha. 2010 5.4 v8 with 133k fron autonation in Scottsdale, AZ. Here's some pics. Question.... when should I change the oil on this used suv ? The distick shows solid ad of now. I'm thinking change it on general purpose. Also, what other basic services should I perform since I just got her? The list of maintenance performed was alright and the used car inspection from a local dealership showed all good. Def don't wanna overkill. Talk to me forum

Attachments

• 20211202_151540.jpg
    20211202_151540.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211202_151520.jpg
    20211202_151520.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 18

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil change, replace the spark plugs, check the brakes. Flush the transmission fluid if you're feeling motivated.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil change, replace the spark plugs, check the brakes. Flush the transmission fluid if you're feeling motivated.
I'm thinking that is kinda high mileage for a trans flush. I'd opt for dropping the fluid and a filter change. Engine oil change I do every 5K unless in dusty conditions. What was the maintenance that was previously performed?

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking that is kinda high mileage for a trans flush. I'd opt for dropping the fluid and a filter change. Engine oil change I do every 5K unless in dusty conditions. What was the maintenance that was previously performed?
Completely agree on the transmission clarification. I do my own maintenance and forget that, especially to a shop, a flush is different from a drop-the-pan service.

I'd also add replacement of the serpentine belt and an inspection of all the pulleys to the list. It's a cheap part and easy procedure for the peace of mind.

OP
OP
Shakillohtrill
Reaction score
Tire pressure sensor and shifter replacement.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Change the oil, drop the tranny pan when you get a chance and replace the 7 qts of fluid, pull a spark plug and unless it looks good, change them and their boots. That's it. Tough trucks and yours is still young. Good luck with it.

The Oil Indicator will tell you to change it about every 5,000 miles or six months.

Just did this in my '08 with 120K miles.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh have fun with the 5.4 3 valve engine. Biggest POS since ever. Ford has lost me as a customer just for it. At 220k miles, I just had phasers, chains, cams, rockers, water pump done at $4200. My Chevy Trailblazer's straight 6 has 250k on it, still running strong. Sad that Ford made this engine.

Anyway, change engine oil now. Full synthetic. Do it on schedule from now on. it's the only way to maybe save it to more than 250k miles. The cam follower rockers will fail no matter. When you hear ticking loudly, get it in as you only have 5-15k miles before the engine will be toast. The phasers will tick too. There is a spring that breaks in them. Both will make it run terrible. Depends when the follower is on the intake or exhaust but it will happen.

On the rocker followers, the oil hole squirts oil on the follower roller. Over time that hole gets larger, and doesn't get the oil to the rollers. The needle bearings fail in the roller and fall all over in the head. Now the rocker can't push the valve all the way open. When that rocker fails completely, it falls out and boom. engine is toast.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the rocker followers, the oil hole squirts oil on the follower roller. Over time that hole gets larger, and doesn't get the oil to the rollers. The needle bearings fail in the roller and fall all over in the head. Now the rocker can't push the valve all the way open. When that rocker fails completely, it falls out and boom. engine is toast.
The hole does not change size. It was too large to start with, and Ford corrected the design with a smaller hole, to increase oil back pressure to areas that have a more urgent need. If a rocker fails, the engine will have a miss. It is far from toast. I had one jump out. Other than wasting time searching for the source of the miss (plug, coil pack, injector), it was an easy fix. A new replacement rocker cost me $14 and a valve cover gasket set was another $50. I am not proud of the engine design as variable valve timing (any manufacturer) represents the worse description of better mouse trap and they have a serious issue of needing almost perfect lubrication. If you neglect oil changes, you are asking for trouble in the worst way. Roller rockers are fine for drag cars that have use for the extra 2HP they might produce, but not so much for a daily driver. They are like the aftermarket roller bearing crankshafts made for older Volkswagen Beetles. It looks great on paper. In short, motor oil is more than adequate for sleeve bearings such as typical main, rod, and camshaft bearings. The oil pressure causes them to float. Not so much for needle or ball bearings running at high speed. There is a reason differentials and wheel bearings require heavier oil or even grease.