NEWB!! Rough Idle, won't take gas, once gas comes up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoryBrown50

Reaction score
Hello All,
I hope that the great and powerful brain trust can help me out with this one.....

Here is what I have,
1998 Ford Expy with the 4.6 motor
I bought it with the PO stating it needed new cats....not running.

Here is what I have done....
CAT GUT with 2nd O2 sensors on plug foulers.
New fuel filter
New PCV
New Air filter

So now the motor starts, and runs, but only at about 500 rpm, and will not take any gas for a while. After holding down the gas pedal, for about 1-2 minutes, I can get the RPMs up, and motor runs smooth. No CEL on the dash, which does work when the key is turned to check the lights.

So, to state my obvious question.....What is wrong? Where should I look to next?
I could state all kinds of ideas, but would rather hear from anyone with a new set of eyes.

Thank you all....

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First check fuel pressure. Should be around 40 psi. If not, its the fuel pump or regulator. Next make sure all electrical connections are made. Then run codes in the computer. Then check spark plugs and coils. Stop at the one of these that fixes the problem.

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could have a bad TPS, or a fuel injector issue, I would go ahead and run a DTC check even if the light is not on you could still be throwing a code... My light would flash and kick off when I had a DPFE, O2, & misfire code. So start with the SES first.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the check engine light isn't coming on with the ignition switch on and the motor not running then the bulb is burnt out or someone yanked it.

Get the DTC codes read.

Unplug the mass air flow sensor and see if the condition changes. Unplug the throttle position sensor and see if the condition changes.

Report back.

OP
OP
CoryBrown50

CoryBrown50

Reaction score
Check engine light works, just not illuminated. I went to Autozone to get the fuel pressure tool on rental. I will check the fuel pressure tonight. Also will check the MAF and TPS suggestions. The MAF is clean, but it could not be working.

On a semi-side note....I pledge that whatever the answer ends up being, I will post the resolution. There is so much wonderful info on this forum, but too many without final solution statements.

Again to the brain trust.....all help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

OP
OP
CoryBrown50

CoryBrown50

Reaction score
Ok, went tonight and got the fuel pressure gauge to hook up to the line. As long as I hooked it up correct, the highest reading was 10psi, but mainly at 0.

Checked the fuse to see if that was popped, hoping for a cheap fix, with no luck there.

Pulled the MAF sensor and no difference.
Pulled the TPS and no difference.
Put starter fluid in past the MAF sensor and the engine idled normal with the additional fuel.

Are we all thinking the fuel pump? Is there anything else I should look at before shelling our $250 bucks? Any tricks to dropping the tank or replacing the pump?

Thanks again for your help.....

semperfi96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fuel pump it will be, that sux I know but thats the same issue I had and what allowed me to buy my truck so cheap, 1 owner didnt wanna fix and bought a 3rd edition.

OP
OP
CoryBrown50

CoryBrown50

Reaction score
The price was definitely right....$900.... I wish I would have checked that all out though before ripping the whole exhaust system off..

There are a lot of junk yard fuel pumps out there on the cheap....any thoughts about them versus the Autozone ones?

Thank you all....

semperfi96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
go new, you never know what your going to get with electrical parts in bone yards. Plus you'll have a warranty

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do not get an airtex fuel pump, go with the OEM Bosch