Newbie 2006 Expy Owner in Blacksburg, VA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stimpson.j.cat

Reaction score
Greetings All (and unhappy VA Tech Hokie fans at the moment too),

Proud owner of a 2006 EB 5.4L, 3.73 rear, HD towing, White/Tan, 100K for just under $10K in excellent condition.

Got it mostly for traveling and towing a 17 ft Key West boat and 2 dogs in style down to the Keys, Cape San Blas, etc.

In the process of changing all the fluids. Just had the dealership change the spark plugs since they claimed they have an excellent track record getting them out w/o breaking. Wish I'd done it myself but had read the horror stories and no time, no garage, and no Lisle removal tool. 5 broke. $880 :321: later the slight hesitation at 45 mph is gone and runs great now.

$196 for plugs, ~ 240% markup! - Crikey
$358 for job
$94 to remove 1st broken plug
$47 each to remove remaining 4
$44 taxes, shop supplies, yada yada

Next items:
sewing the driver seat leather
fixing the heated seat
installing aftermarket Head unit.

Thanks all for the many excellent tips and how-to's! Will try to post pics soon. The girlfriend has it today for a trip to northern VA - I see how this works.

Other vehicles include a 2004 Honda Element, 2002 Jeep Liberty, and 1977 F350 w/ reman. 400M, Holley racing 4-barrel carb, dually, and hydraulic dump.

--Joel

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
love it...go with built-in nav...i have disc and that is the only drawback...contrary to what the directions or people say...the antenna doesnt have to be in plain sight for signal...i have mine tucked right behind the unit and works fine

OP
OP
S

stimpson.j.cat

Reaction score
love it...go with built-in nav...i have disc and that is the only drawback...contrary to what the directions or people say...the antenna doesnt have to be in plain sight for signal...i have mine tucked right behind the unit and works fine
Thanks for the info! Good to know re: the antenna. Have the factory built-in NAV but CD-based and don't think NavTeq updates these anymore. Would also like bluetooth/ipad/etc. integration. Not willing to pay $400+ for Ford's bluetooth adapter, either. So a used Avic-D3 might work for me...

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go on youtube and watch videos on how to bypass the emergency parking assist aid for full functions of navigation and video while driving...if not u will have to pull over all the time to change stuff or your for your passenger