Newbie here, Dead Ins Cluster, Radio, Windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me know if you need the diagram.

We will be working on circuit 3049 - you have a choice at this point. Visually inspect the harness for a short to ground or start disconnection connectors to isolate the circuit from the rest of the vehicle. I'd start with the visual inspection - you might get lucky. The isolation step is usually time consuming.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Black lead should always be in the center unless reading amps/current.
The resistance settings are the green section and in measures in ohms.
Red lead will always be in the red socket.

Never measure resistance on a circuit that has power applied. Disconnect power by whatever means is practical - unplug the battery or connector etc.
Set meter to the range of resistance you want to measure. In this case for the ground test it would be the 220 range. Touch the red and black leads together and they will zero out, then read the circuit. Red will be on the pin and black will be to ground.

If you have not disconnected power you will blow the meter and in extreme cases it can catch on fire or explode. The explode part will happen in high voltage readings.

Don't remember what I've sent you. I suffer from CRS.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The next test to perform is a "redneck" test and may pop a fuse. You'll need to use a circuit breaker or a 15amp fuse - turn ign to off, replace fuse F21 and disconnect the cluster. Turn ign to run, if fuse doesn't pop move the portion of harness to the connector C220b around and see if it pops. If it doesn't, turn ign to off, reconnect the C220b connector to the cluster and turn ign to run. If the fuse pops you have a problem in the cluster or a branch circuit after the cluster.

If the fuse pops with the cluster disconnected it is in a branch of the circuit prior to the cluster.

The circuit number is 3049 - see attached pdf.

They have wired this circuit to the interior lamp relay, make sure that all interior lamps, vanity - cargo - puddle lamps - map etc are turned off.

Attachments

• 13-05.pdf
    25.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mbs xk8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replaced fuse with new one, ignition off, removed connector to C220b , turned on and twisted wires and connector. The fuse wasn't affected

Reconnected C220b ,and turned on. Everything worked great: gauges, lights, radio, and dome lights.

When I started car, everything stayed on, but when I turned off and removed the key, Fuse 22 blew. I heard it pop.

Ignition wires?? how can we test these?