Newbie on the board needs advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H8 PVMT

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between a Suburban (2000) or an Expedition (2000 or 2001).

So far this is what I've come up with:

Suburban:
Better power and more torque.(that is a major sell point for me)
Not as fond of the look but I could get used to it
More reliable-depending on which site you read or who you talk to of course.
Better resale
Lower than the Expidition.
Piston slap problems with the engine(but it doesn't seem to cause harm, just annoying from what I've read)

Expedition:
Better looks (IMO)
Newer model for same price-lower resale value
Not as much power
Worried about reliability due to problems with my Trac (that is a huge fear)
Taller than the Suburban, thus harder for the kids and short wife to get into.

So here is where I am at. I like the Ford a lot more because of the looks and some of the stock features but I'm worried about the lack of power when I have my family in the truck and loaded up with camping gear and food for a week and we try to go over the mountain. The Suburban has more power and torque but I really don't like the look of the dash of the Chevy and some of the styling as well (I can get used to it like I said before). Also, I've had to replace my engine and tranny in my Trac so Ford doesn't really have the whole "quality is job one" feeling instilled in me, I just can't afford to buy a used vehicle and have major problems with it (I know the chance is there with no matter what you buy but you may as well go with the odds and I feel that they are not in Fords favor)
I know this is my faithful Ford board but what are some unbiased opinions? Anyone have one? :D

Thanks.

Oh, I chose those two becuase of the room inside for my family. I'm also thinking of a 4 door F/S pickup.

DodgeRamAw06

Reaction score
Hey looks like youve got some decision making. I own a 97 expedition 5.4L. I would say that it has enough power that i could ever need. My family and I go camping in Wyoming every summer. We load that truck up with camping stuff then hook on a 28ft camper. Pulling the camper through the teton mountains didnt give any problems. I got the evey duty towing pacakge which came with a bigger radiator, the 5.4, a larger hitch, and some other add ons. I would say that the expedition has plenty of power. I towed the camper through the mountains just fine.This year ive started to add on lots of stuff. I put on a k&n intake with a tornado inside, glass pack muffler, and a electronic shift improver. Im very excited to see how the truck does now

My parents use to own a 87 suburban and my grandfather owns a 99. I personally dont care for chevy or GM. I dont think they put much work into making the truck look good. They are very dependable and have great power too. I just dont care for them.

Ever thought about the dodge durango? that has lots of power and looks nice. Theres also the ford excursion that you can get with the v-10. I would personally go with a expedition just because i love them. Let me know what you end up getting. Good luck and heres my truck if you wanna check it out

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/825120

OP
OP
H

H8 PVMT

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I looked at the Durango but they arent as big inside as the Ford or the Burb so that ruled them out. Hmm so the 5.4 gives you plenty of power, that's something to look at.

From what I've read the Ford has lower HP and torque but it reaches it's max at a lower RPM then the Burb and it's lighter than the Burb as well.

That's a damn nice looking Expedition you have there, the head liner is amazing, I'm very impressed with your craftsmanship. Did you install an extra battery to handle the lights and stereo?

05spokaneEXPY

Reaction score
I use to own a 96 and then a 99 Burban, it was a nice SUV alot of room inside (I have 4 kids). I was starting to have problems with the tranny slipping in the 99 before I turned it in and that was at about 36000 miles. I also had a lot of problems with the rear brakes. The Burbans are soooo heavy and you can tell when you drive them. Kinda like driving a bus, very long vehicle. I told myself that I would'nt buy another GM vehicle after I owned my Burban, and I have'nt since then.

I just bought a 05 E.B. Expy with 4000 miles on it. So far so good, not too big, my wife enjoys driving it and it has plenty of room for all 6 of us. I wish it did a little better on gas milage but I can live with that. My brother just bought a 05 Chevy Z71 and honestly I prefer the Ford IMO. The Expy just feels better when driving it.

Anyway you go look into an extended warranty if it has less than 50,000 miles on it. If you go to www.carbuyingtips.com they have alot of info on that site. Good Luck.....

DodgeRamAw06

Reaction score
Actually i upgraded my alternator to a 180 amp and got a larger battery. Then i hooked up a two farad cap just for the system. So far i havent had any eletrical problems.

Chesterfoxes

Reaction score
Look at the third row seat comfort.

One thing I noticed when I was shopping last year was the difference in seating comfort for the third row. If you're planning on making a lot of use of the third row, check it out beforehand. The GM does not have a footwell while the Ford does - the GM third seat was basically just perched on the rear deck. Not a good design and uncomfortable for any larger kids - their knees are up in their teeth. I don't know if the same was true for the 2000-2001 time frame, but certainly was for last year's mode.

I read a lot about the piston slap, too. Regardless of whether it's doing any damage, do you really want a gasoline-powered truck that sounds like a diesel? Regardless, re-sale could be a problem if the engine sounds like a piece of junk.

OP
OP
H

H8 PVMT

Reaction score
I haven't been out to drive one yet, we are just doing research right now. Knowing myself the way I do I'd buy something before I know what I should buy :D

Thanks for the tip on the 3rd row, not sure how much I'd use it but we would use it, that's why we want it.