newbie turning Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the shop close the spark plug gap when they installed the blower? You need to close the gap on the plugs to about .035 when going boosted to keep the spark from blowing out. At anything over 6psi your are pushing the limits of the ignition system at the factory gaps.

If you are going to have to do this i recommend replacing the plugs with a heat range colder and iridium like the NGK TR6IX you can get them for half the price of the Denso iridium plugs.

Matt R

OP
OP
S

scexy

Reaction score
Good info. I'll need to get on that soon.

Actually the SC was installed when the truck was new in 2000. It's pushing 8lbs of boost according to the installers. There was no mention of sparkplug reapping.

It's a little chilly out these days so I may have to hold off on the plug swap but it should be no big deal.

Are there any other things I should be looking at?

BTW, Matt, I've been reading other posts and you seem like the guru. Do you have any tuning/ programing that you could recommend for me to squeeze more power out of this combo?

NOTE TO THE ADMIN: I HAVE SELECTED THE EMAIL NOTIFICATION OPTION AND HAVE NOT YET ONCE RECEIVED AN EMAIL FROM THIS SITE. CAN YOU CHECK THIS OUT? THANKS.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can remove some of the safety factor but I don't recommend it. would be only worth 15hp or so but no room for an octane error so one batch of bad gas and there goes your pistons.... if they didn't regap your plugs chances are that is the issue with the lack of power.....

Matt R

Wed Turner

Reaction score
Originally posted by scexy
Twice, I have tried to stomp the gas to get onto the highway and the car seemed to hesitate and the CEL started flashing. I let off the gas and the CEL kept flashing for another 30 seconds or so.

Something just hit me, so I have two questions to ask.

Straight on ramps, or the clover leaf kind where you have to turn?

How much gas was in the truck?

OP
OP
S

scexy

Reaction score
level on-ramps. Full tank of gas. Trying to get up to highway speed quickly so as to not get smashed by speeding truckers. It seems as if I ease into it, there is not as much hesitation and both of these times was when the car was slightly warmed up but, maybe not to the leve it should be?

If it warms up this weekend I'll just go ahead and do them and report my results.

So, at this point as far as tuning is concerned, I'm maxed out? Just curious. BTW, I run on 93 oct and am not avers to adding a little Alky. All my other cars are alcoholics:cool:

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
maybe not maxed out but would be interested to see what the truck is doing maybe on a dyno to see if it is fuel or spark related....

OP
OP
S

scexy

Reaction score
I've been looking around for some "car people" to get some referrals. I'm kind of **** about my cars and frankly don't let anyone touch my car unless they are under my direct supervision. I'm in a small town and not yet familiar with the places I can go.