No Gauges or Nav/Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can start and drive the expy just fine I just don't have any gauges or nav/radio. This has happened twice the last month and happened again last evening and hasn't come back on. Before I could restart the vehicle and they would come back on and work fine. It's been extremely cold here but it sets in the garage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Smack the dash rather sharply but not hard enough to break anything. If they come back on you have a connection problem at the cluster. If they don't you may have a connection problem at the grounds. Do you also loose the dash lights when that happens?

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
stamp11127 I banged on the dash again and the gauges came on. Then I shut the vehicle off started it again and all gauges were dead. I banged on the dash some more but couldn't get them to come back on. Looks like I have a loose connection and will need to pull the dash. Before I do that I'll just pull the trim and remove/reinstall the 2 major connectors frst to see if that's it.
Thanks!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reset the connectors first. If that doesn't fix it then resolder the pins for the connectors to the PC board, while you are there also do the odometer display solder connections.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just reset the connectors. Everything is working fine now. Have to see if it lasts.
Thanks stamp11127!

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well wife went to use the Expy and no gauges so it didn't last long. Guess I'll pull the connectors and spray them with contact cleaner and go from there.

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We'll still having problems with dash. No display when cold but all works fine when warm. Stamp11127 do you believe this is indicative of a cold solder joint on the pins on the PC board? If so is it hard to get to this after pulling the dash?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ford manual doesn't go into electronic detail, so the answer is "could be". The cluster uses two grounds, one in each connector. The wire in C220a is black while the wire in C220b is Pink/Orange. You may want to reflow the solder on those pins.

Both wires also show a splice before they go to their individual grounds so that may also be the cause of the problem.

I don't remember how many of the trim pieces need to be removed to get the cluster out, but it isn't bad. Just don't pull the entire dash.

OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulling the dash is easy. I've done it 4 times already. A piece of cake. I'll check out the grounds.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.