No power up hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kerstingm

Reaction score
Hi I am a new owner of a 1998 Expedition XLT 4.6 engine, but a devoted Ford owner for life. Anyway we have been noticing a problem while going up hills we have no power the tach is around 4k and I am only going 30 mph. A couple of times now the tach has even jumped to 5k then jumped back to 2k. Twice now we have lost reverse till the engine and or trans cooled down. I have noticed the trans shifts around 3500 rpms. The fluid is full and looks a little burnt but not too bad I have seen worse. I am going to try changing the filter and fluid and add some Lucas or other conditioner (name brand). My question is there anything else I should look at? One of the first thing I added when I got the suv was a Spectra cold air intake to help with gas milage, but I am only doing around 13 mpg. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am really hoping this dosen't sound like a trans going out. We absolutly love this truck.
Thank you.