No start with an unknown noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate47

Reaction score
the noise in question is small popping sound at the 12 second mark after putting the keys in the ignition and turning the key to the on position. Any idea what it is? Just got this 2000 xlt 4x4 not to long ago, drove it home and now its DOA

Last edited:
Reaction score
My old f150 and my current expedition made/make that noise. So far idk what it is but my expedition runs fine and so did my f150. I would say its normal but dont quote me on that.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try checking for spark pull out 1 coil and boot and connect it to a spark tester. If you dont have one, just use another plug and place the plug on something metal and have an assistant crank the engine. If it sparks, you have ruled out the cam sensor and the ecu and the fuel injector cycling.
Then listen for the fuel pump running insert a short piece of stiff garden hose into the fuel fill inlet. Have someone turn the ignition switch to on position and listen for a short whirring sound. If you hear that then the pump is ok.
Then check for fuel at the schrader valve. Depress the valve while the ignition switch is on. If fuel pressure is present, then the fuel system can be ruled out.
Last check, assume the engine is flooded pull out the fuse for the fuel pump and start the engine while fully deppressing the accelerator pedal. If it wants to start after that put back the fuse and start it again normally.
If it still wont start, check the wiring of the MAF sensor. Because if the MAF sensor is disconnected, the engine wont run at all.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't test for fuel pressure by pressing the Schrader valve unless you know what you are doing.

Should you perform the test anyway, you will be spraying gasoline in the engine compartment. If the fuel system is working correctly it will be under at least 35lbs of pressure and will spray gas everywhere. If you have an ignition source at the time, things will get exciting in a hurry.

It is safer to use a fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail. Specs are @35-45 psi with key on.

OP
OP
N

nate47

Reaction score
I wouldn't test for fuel pressure by pressing the Schrader valve unless you know what you are doing.

Should you perform the test anyway, you will be spraying gasoline in the engine compartment. If the fuel system is working correctly it will be under at least 35lbs of pressure and will spray gas everywhere. If you have an ignition source at the time, things will get exciting in a hurry.

It is safer to use a fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail. Specs are @35-45 psi with key on.

good to know, Il save that one for last lol

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes a fuel pressure gauge would be a nice addition to your tool collection. Shop for one by all means it will come in handy for future work on your expy.