no sticky for spark plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I'm new to the party here but I have been reading for 3 days since I made my purchase.

All I keep reading is all these problems with breaking spark plugs during removal. I have been trying to prep to do this myself as I am not willing to pay a mechanic $100 an hour to extract broken spark plugs.

So today I noticed someone mentioned in the 08's there was some sort of fix with the spark plugs, something about if you have the brown caps you have the better ones or something.

So now I am confused, and I am suprised there is not a sticky because I cant seem to find a conclusive answer.

Bottom line question, is this still a problem for a 2010 5.4? Or can I just go to town and not expect any problems changing these things? (Im at 100k and they are stock). I hear a little rattling when the hood is up, but no backfiring or anything, drive is smooth as silk.

OP
OP
dmercer3

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score

thank you as I did find some great info in there a few days ago, however there is still a lot of confusion it seems as everyone seems to have different ideas about how to take care of it.

Today I spoke to a ford mechanic who seemed like he was very familiar with the fix.

He stressed to go to carcraftauto for some step by steps. But he did say:

1. Do not warm up engine. (Let sit at least 24 hours).
2. Use a torque wrench to ensure NOT overtorquing during removal.
3. Use an lubricant during removal if at all possible, and if torque wrench indicates overtorquing re-lube plug and move on to another (come back later).
4. Use platinum spark plug for replacement (100k mile high quality version).
5. Ensure tap/removal tool is on hand.
6. Recommended replacement every 30k to prevent the buildup of carbon which causes the problem in the first place.

I am probably missing a few things he said.

Very interested in any help or further guidance anyone of you may have.

-Dan

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When removing you may want to turn a little bit out and then back in. Use the back and forth method and plenty of lube and when you meet a good deal of resistance stop and let it be for a little while.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2010's don't have the two piece spark plugs. So you don't have to do all the voodoo that the earlier models need.

OP
OP
dmercer3

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2010's don't have the two piece spark plugs. So you don't have to do all the voodoo that the earlier models need.

Can I get anyone to second this please as I have yet to see anyone say this, this would greatly put my mind at ease.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder why I try. It's out there. Just research the plugs for your truck and compare them to the older years.

I have the 2008 Expy and a 2006 Mustang GT. I'm very familiar with the plugs.

If you don't believe me, look it up on Google yourself.

OP
OP
dmercer3

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder why I try. It's out there. Just research the plugs for your truck and compare them to the older years.

I have the 2008 Expy and a 2006 Mustang GT. I'm very familiar with the plugs.

If you don't believe me, look it up on Google yourself.

Wow, god forbid your answer isnt just accepted blindly by the general population... with all your internet credibility and all... seriously?

No need to get all bent about it. You gave me the best news Ive heard in a week about this truck and I was simply trying to get someone to confirm it. Yet here we are 3 post later and no confirmation, just twisted *******.

I have talked to 3 current master techs at ford this week and all 3 said it was still a problem as far as they knew, obviously they JUST see the problems so they were not aware of the fix.

And I bought this truck used, I have no freakin idea which spark plugs are in it... so nice job assuming things while 'leading me to water'...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.