noobee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjzepplin

Reaction score
Hi there guys and gals! I am from San Fran Bay but moved to Florida a few years ago. My mother just moved here and is having problems with her 2002 Expedition. It has 19000 confirmed miles and was bought new. After about 30 miles it sputters and the cats pop and it dies. It will restart and rev high but wont idle and dies again. We have had it checked at the dealer and they want a fortune (about what it's worth) to fix it. It has a 5.4. the dealer said it was the #1 coil and boots and needed plugs and the pcv hose was collapsing. We did the coil and a fuel filter and pcv and pulled the pcv line to check it and it's fine. I checked the EGR and if I apply vacuum to it while its running it mimicks the issue perfectly. Any help here would get my uncle to his doctor appts. Thank in advance. Oh and she wants to give this Truck to me and move back to Cali. So I am looking forward to being a happy Ford owner someday soon.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t have the answer but if you head down to section for your generation Expedition or the Engine section to post it will be seen by more people. Not everybody checks out the intro forum.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It isn't throwing an error code (check engine light on)? I've never had this issue so not able to help... sorry!

OP
OP
J

jjzepplin

Reaction score
Nope no code, just sputtering and dying. I got a scanner today and scanned it and the only thing I could find was there was a purge code showing low. $26 was the code and $27. I thought that was how much it cost to fix but no. Apparently that means something else.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your in a readable site, but as the other poster stated its better to post under that part of the Expedition specific forum. You've got a first edition Expedition, that's where you want to post. Your in a general posting site that not everybody reads. I posted my suggestions, but it didn't get posted. First order of business is run stored computer codes, any auto parts/ repair can do that. Second run fuel pressure test, making sure fuel pump/filter and line to injectors are sound! Lastly you or someone do a smoke test of intake/exaust, to find any vacuum, or exaust leaks. Report your findings, and we'll go from there.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread moved for better visibility.