Not turning over with key

Discussion in '1st Gen - 1997 - 2002' started by AaronMoss72, Jul 17, 2017.

  1. AaronMoss72

    AaronMoss72 Member

    Age:
    44
    Posts:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Western NC
    Yes, i will download one. Thanks!
     
  2. Bedrck47

    Bedrck47 Full Access Members

    Posts:
    4,851
    Likes Received:
    423
    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2014
    Location:
    Elizebethtown, PA
    Copied from the 1997 Ford Factory Service Manual

    20-01.jpg
     
  3. AaronMoss72

    AaronMoss72 Member

    Age:
    44
    Posts:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Western NC
    Awesome Bedrck47, thank you very much!
     
  4. Bedrck47

    Bedrck47 Full Access Members

    Posts:
    4,851
    Likes Received:
    423
    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2014
    Location:
    Elizebethtown, PA
    You should have 12+ volts at the tan/red wire on the starter motor relay when you turn the key to start
     
    AaronMoss72 likes this.
  5. AaronMoss72

    AaronMoss72 Member

    Age:
    44
    Posts:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Western NC
    Thanks again Bedrck47 you have been really helpful! I will let you know what i find out.
     
  6. terryb99

    terryb99 New Member

    Posts:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1
    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2011
    Location:
    Seattle
    I believe you are over thinking this.

    If you jumper the solenoid and it starts and runs, replace the solenoid. It is cheap, easy, and about a 90% chance of fixing the problem.

    Terry
     
    AaronMoss72 likes this.
  7. Bedrck47

    Bedrck47 Full Access Members

    Posts:
    4,851
    Likes Received:
    423
    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2014
    Location:
    Elizebethtown, PA
    Nothing is being over thought Although I do agree that it MAY be a bad solenoid But I would rather know for sure that the solenoid is getting the correct voltage to energize rather that just replacing the solenoid and then find out It wasn't getting enough voltage to energize.

    Had the OP stated that he heard a click when he tried to start that would tell a different story But he didn't state that.

    Plus I would rather be 100 % certain rather than "about a 90% chance of fixing the problem" by tossing a part into it. You may be correct but that 10% may bite you in the a$$

    Get involved in this forum since this is your first post since you became a member 6 years ago.
     
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 4:37 PM
    AaronMoss72 likes this.
  8. rjdelp7

    rjdelp7 Full Access Members

    Posts:
    171
    Likes Received:
    18
    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2014
    Location:
    NY
    Check your theft light for rapid blinking, when starting. Try a different key. Don't power lock doors, with key in ignition and driver door open. Try starting, with gear shift in "N".
     
    AaronMoss72 likes this.
  9. AaronMoss72

    AaronMoss72 Member

    Age:
    44
    Posts:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Western NC
    Hi everyone, sorry it took so long to get back. Updates, cleaned all contacts, not anti-theft, fuse for starter relay keeps blowing. I can start it a couple times then it blows. Guessing something is grounding out... Would the solenoid cause this?
     
  10. AaronMoss72

    AaronMoss72 Member

    Age:
    44
    Posts:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Western NC
    Hi everyone, sorry it took so long to get back. Updates, cleaned all contacts, not anti-theft, fuse for starter relay keeps blowing. I can start it a couple times then it blows. Guessing something is grounding out... Would the solenoid cause this?
     

Share This Page