Odd Part Found in Trans Pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swanny66

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm changing my trans oil (2003 Expe, 4x4, 5.4L, auto), removed the pan and filter. While cleaning the pan I found a plastic part with an o-ring, looks important. I have the 1000+ page service manual, looked at every single parts picture on the trans I could find, nothing resembles it. Here is a pic of it (hopefully happens). (IMG)upload_2021-4-9_15-41-3.jpeg(IMG)
It's about 1 1/2" long. Thanks in advance.upload_2021-4-9_15-41-3.jpeg

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just means your fluid has never been changed. Its there for manufacturing purposes.

David E

Reaction score
Its a Dipstick tube plug from factory to hold it sealed till they install the dipstick, and then it just drops to the pan. As Yupster Dog mentioned this is a good indication that the fluid never got changed.

OP
OP
S

Swanny66

Reaction score
Wow, thanks so much guys, you just made my day. I'm the 2nd owner since 2004, it only has 78k miles and I've babied it. I figured it's time to change the trans, TC and both diffs. The stealership wanted $260 just to flush, but I wanted to see the particles in the pan and change the filter also (I'm sure we're talking >$500 then). I've done it before on other vehicles, so not a big deal. I plan to suck out the pan oil 2x more to dilute the rest of the dirty oil with fresh. What was hard though was to find someone who carried Mercon V, Napa had it, quarts only, got some. I also bent over and sprung for the genuine Ford trans filter that someone suggested because it has a very fine filter incorporated. Gasket is reusable. Now back to work on it. Thanks again!

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What kind of gear oil are you using for the front & rear diffs? Do you have a drain plug on both? Was planning on doing mine pretty soon.