OEM Control Arms + Ball Joints??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toby

Reaction score
Got my 97 in at a local shop Ive never used before getting the road safety check done and the mechanic tells me I need new control arms/ball joints cause the ball joints are too worn out and they just cant swap out the old ball joints for new ones with what he believes is the original oem control arms. That sounds like a pile of manure to me but this is the newest vehicle Ive ever owned so figured Id ask to see if this guy is thinking Im some sucker with deep pockets or if he is being straight up with me. Also if this is the truth anyone know the replacement parts numbers I need for a 97 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 with air shocks? Thanks.

Toby

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the 1st generation expy's you would normally replace the lower ball joints and upper control arms which include the ball joints. The lower ball joints are press out and press in replacements

There are many videos on you tube on how to do this. Even if you aren't capable of doing the work yourself I would suggest you view the videos just so you have a better understanding of what is involved.

I just replaced both on my 01 expy and used after market Moog parts You can check on Moogs website for the parts you would need and also part numbers.

OP
OP
T

Toby

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the information and the warm welcome. I will definitely check out some youtube videos and look up what I need on the Moog site you suggested. Im glad to find out some info cause Im just getting into this. Cheers.

Ford 99

Reaction score
Hi, You didn't state how many miles on vehicle, but remember it is basically 20 years old. Ball Joints are a common replacement part of the suspension, like shocks and pitman arms.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you replace just the ball joints (upper and lower), do you need an alignment?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Always a good idea. Tires on these beasts ain't cheap. It's a good idea to have alignment checked every year or so. Doesn't take much to knock out toe/ camber adjustments, especially if you take off road or live where roads are rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently got done doing my 2000 Expedition. Basically redid the suspension front and rear. Get the Moog Problem solver ball joints and pick them up from Rock Auto. I bought the lower ball joints and the upper control arms with ball joints because frankly for the difference in cost its not worth pressing out the uppers plus you get new bushings. Swapping is pretty easy. Pressing the lowers out is easy as well. Its also a good time to check the condition of the ABS sensors. my drivers side was was nasty, cleaned it up and its been working until about a week ago. Needs to be replaced. Parts are rock auto will be half price from local parts houses. (my truck is a 2x4)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I read at rock auto online parts is the replacement upper ball joints don't fit the oem Ford control arm. That explains why you have to buy the whole arm. Bottoms do, they come in standard size and an oversized one, in case the hole got hogged out! I'm assuming. Just curious does Ford offer an upper ball joint, incase you want to reuse upper arm.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I read at rock auto online parts is the replacement upper ball joints don't fit the oem Ford control arm. That explains why you have to buy the whole arm. Bottoms do, they come in standard size and an oversized one, in case the hole got hogged out! I'm assuming. Just curious does Ford offer an upper ball joint, incase you want to reuse upper arm.

Given the age of hte truck replace the whole thing. The bushing made a big deal for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nameisbry