Oil analysis as a predictor for cam phaser/timing chain/cam/follower issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with others, and that analysis thing is a bunch of hogwash designed to make money. All you can do is use good oil, change it on time, don't overheat the engine, don't hot rod it, etc. That's all you can do, there is no silver bullet. You can talk all day about woulda' shoulda' coulda' but it means nothing. You can get 10 oil reports that did nothing but drain your wallet. Yes this is on topic.

I think the usefulness of the oil analysis is largely educational in terms of engine wear, since the horse is out of the barn at that point, but as others have pointed out above, it may also be useful for some companies trying to prevent downtime or ensure safety by getting repairs done before failures occur. However, "hogwash" indicates the results are completely fabricated and/or that they're ability to potentially be used as a predictor of wear/failure is nonsense. That's simply the rantings of an idiot.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the usefulness of the oil analysis is largely educational in terms of engine wear, since the horse is out of the barn at that point, but as others have pointed out above, it may also be useful for some companies trying to prevent downtime or ensure safety by getting repairs done before failures occur. However, "hogwash" indicates the results are completely fabricated and/or that they're ability to potentially be used as a predictor of wear/failure is nonsense. That's simply the rantings of an idiot.
Name calling again, man up or shut up. Analysis has it's place of course but to someone who changes their same oil on time it's just a bunch of hogwash designed to make money.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I was trying to determine if I had a head gasket leak from my water jacket. An oil analysis indicated I did not. Railroads analyze locomotive oil for problems as these along with bearing wear.

$30 well spent in my case at least.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was trying to determine if I had a head gasket leak from my water jacket. An oil analysis indicated I did not. Railroads analyze locomotive oil for problems as these along with bearing wear.

$30 well spent in my case at least.
Like I said; it has a place. I can think of better ways to find a head gasket leak though..........and cheaper.