Open or limited slip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It seem that what you could get changed by year. Here are the 3 trailer towing guides I have easy access to.

According to the 2017 Towing Guide there were 3 axle ratios available but 3.73 was the only axle that was available with LSD and 3:73 only came with LSD, no open differential. Here are the axle codes for 17's
View attachment 77321

According to the 2014 Towing Guide there were only 2 rear axle ratios available and neither was available with LSD. Here are the axle codes for 14's
View attachment 77323

According to the 2011 Towing Guide 3.73 was the only axle in that year that was available with LSD, but you could order the 3:73 in both open (16 code) and LSD (H6 code) rear differentials. Here are the axle codes for 11's
View attachment 77322
Yep, welcome to why getting the code off the door is so important. Ford was ALL OVER the place on the 3rd Gens.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m thinking of converting it into 3.73 LS

If it was the electronic one it's not a simple upgrade. I looked at some aftermarket gear-based lockers and called a shop a few months ago. He said the Detroit Truetrac won't work because of the IRS. He suggested Powertrax Grip Pro because that's what he installs on many vehicles he works on and they've worked well. Torsen might be another option, but I haven't confirmed definitively whether it works with our IRS. Torsen never responded to my e-mail inquiry.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, welcome to why getting the code off the door is so important. Ford was ALL OVER the place on the 3rd Gens.
Absolutely agree, and talk about a job Ford could get rid of, with nothing but positive results, the guy or gal that changes their mind every year for the last 13 (or more) on what axle ratios should be available on Expeditions. Simply stupid.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Absolutely agree, and talk about a job Ford could get rid of, with nothing but positive results, the guy or gal that changes their mind every year for the last 13 (or more) on what axle ratios should be available on Expeditions. Simply stupid.
YES!!!

OP
OP
2014greyford665

2014greyford665

Reaction score
If it was the electronic one it's not a simple upgrade. I looked at some aftermarket gear-based lockers and called a shop a few months ago. He said the Detroit Truetrac won't work because of the IRS. He suggested Powertrax Grip Pro because that's what he installs on many vehicles he works on and they've worked well. Torsen might be another option, but I haven't confirmed definitively whether it works with our IRS. Torsen never responded to my e-mail inquiry.
So I can I upgrade it easily but I should put aftermarket parts?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford is a little off the way they do axles, I almost prefer the GM method of the G80 automatic locker.

I got the electronic locking rear axle on my 2023 F-150 5.0L for the “just in case”, but the occasions that it would help are rare. 1st off a locker hates any maneuvers that require turning, so in snow it may actually bog me down harder than rolling with open diffs. It’s main use is if you are stuck in deep mud or snow straight on to walk out in a straight line.

If I put the truck into deep snow or deep mud mode it actually automatically turns on 4WD High and locks the rear axle on its own according to the dash display. I was a bit surprised deep snow does that as i think it will cause some fishtailing on open roads but have yet to try it as I purchased at winters end.

At the end of the day I think the limited slip is decent, but in no way worth the headache of replacing a perfectly good open diff. The difference in snow/mud will be….marginal (at best) the way the Expeditions traction control is set up. On roads the brakes will all ready try and kick power to the tire with traction like the limited slip. A better investment would be a locker but again, where it comes into play will be limited.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I can I upgrade it easily but I should put aftermarket parts?
Any competent transmission shop should be able to handle it, but it would much cheaper and easier to use an aftermarket part, because you eliminate any need for electronic controls.

What is your motivation for pursuing the upgrade? I've gotten stuck with my 4x2, but both times it was me being stupid and getting sunk 6 inches into mud on the road shoulder. I've also driven in light snow with no issues. My tires are all terrain with 3 peaks certification. I'm not 100% certain that the LSD is useful unless you're doing a lot of driving in snow or offroading. The only way I would do it is if I regeared to 3.73, and I'm not convinced that is necessary, as power isn't really an issue when towing my camper and I can already accelerate much faster than my passengers are comfortable with. I might still regear and add an LSD in the future, because upgrading the truck keeps me from buying another one. But it's more of a "want to" than "need to" for sure.

OP
OP
2014greyford665

2014greyford665

Reaction score
Any competent transmission shop should be able to handle it, but it would much cheaper and easier to use an aftermarket part, because you eliminate any need for electronic controls.

What is your motivation for pursuing the upgrade? I've gotten stuck with my 4x2, but both times it was me being stupid and getting sunk 6 inches into mud on the road shoulder. I've also driven in light snow with no issues. My tires are all terrain with 3 peaks certification. I'm not 100% certain that the LSD is useful unless you're doing a lot of driving in snow or offroading. The only way I would do it is if I regeared to 3.73, and I'm not convinced that is necessary, as power isn't really an issue when towing my camper and I can already accelerate much faster than my passengers are comfortable with. I might still regear and add an LSD in the future, because upgrading the truck keeps me from buying another one. But it's more of a "want to" than "need to" for sure.
Well, Give it a better acceleration I guess and more torque on wheels

ediddily

Reaction score
My 07 XLT w/ HD tow package and IRS had a 3.73 clutch pack LSD in the rear. I opted to put a TrueTrac in place of the OEM clutch pack diff. for better grip. Its been in place for a few years now. I get on average 1.5-2.5' of snow in my driveway which is several hundred feet. The car used to be questionable getting through it. Now it plows right through it. Also, when pulling off the side of the road in gravel shoulder and gunning it, there is no sliding, it just goes forward. On hard accelerations there is no tire screeches either.
I'm not an expert, just a user, and I would say get what ever suits your needs. It all depends on your use of the car. A gear driven LSD is obviously better than open or clutch diffs but not as good a lockers. If its your daily driver or you tow, I'd say stick to a gear driven LSD. If your wheeling, get a locker