Opinions on Rim Paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathanngc

Reaction score
I have an '01 XLT I have already painted over all the chrome on the car with black so now the only thing left that isnt black to white is the rims. Would they look good black? And has anyone painted their stock rims black? How did it come out and what paint would you recommend?
Also her is a picture of my truck currently.

Reaction score
Stock 16" steelies on my 02 were the original gray. I took a wire wheel drill attachment to them and sandpaper. Then 2 coats of Rustoleum primer and 3 coats of Rustoleum satin black. Worthwhile couple hours IMO. Like anything, take your time and do it right.

20170817_135134.jpg

IMG_20171007_124501.jpg

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used plasitdip on mine about 4 years ago. It held up alright but now that I've replaced the tires, it really needs to be redone. I'm debating just getting some steelies if I can find them. The painting wasn't too hard, and plastidip doesn't require as much surface prep as typical paint. If you go this route, buy a pack of index cards to shove in between the rim and the tires to save yourself a lot of cleanup.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
8 coats of plastidip per wheel lasted 6+ years on my Monte Carlo... I'm sure it would'v lasted longer but that' when I was t boned in it and said my good byes to it.

I do recommend going that route first to get the feel of how black wheels will look it's not permenant but it sure lasts a long time, much cheaper than powder coating and 10x better upkeep than rattle can spray painting.