Overdrive question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Morning all!
Can someone give me a quick lesson on when and when not to keep my 2000 expy in overdrive? I usually just keep it in OD at all times but Im being told u get a lil more pep in the step when OD is off and only use it when your towing something... Now Im baffled... Can someone school me?
Thanks

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Check your owners manual. It will explain the purpose of the O/D switch and its use while towing. I would recommended to leave overdrive on unless your towing. You can turn it off for more pep at highway speeds at the expense of fuel economy and a bit more engine rpm and wear. Really no point unless your planning on racing somebody.. If you are towing and find it frequently shifts back and forth out of overdrive in hilly terrain you should turn it off. I also use it to help slow the vehicle going down hill while towing at highway speeds.

Many recommend turning it off while towing period to not risk hurting the tranny.

While mine is a unique setup I also turn it off if I plan on "getting on it" while its in overdrive because its very hard on the drivetrain downshifting out of overdrive under full power. This is common practice among the ford lightning community.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i lock mine out as soon as i get in the truck, only time i allow it to go into O/D is at highway speeds (65+) for a long enough period if time to make it worth it. i hate the tranny hunting for gears as that creates heat and heat is the No.1 killer of auto trannys.