Overheating problem solved.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff55v

Reaction score
A couple days ago, my wife told me the temp gauge on her 1st gen Exp was going all over he way to the red hot temp area. After praising her for being so observant, I dug into the problem. I found the coolant level was full, but the coolant was really nasty looking. I decided to replace the thermostat, and drain and fill the coooling system with new coolant.
This first attempt didn't solve the overheating problem.
Next, I decided to check the water pump.
It's such a good feeling when you can definitively point to something and say, "YEP! That's the problem right there!"
I concluded that the old water pump was an el cheapo replacement part. And combined with the nasty neglected coolant, caused this pump impeller to break off of its shaft.
I just wanted to pass this info along.

IMG_6371.JPG

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fatique wear / breakage due to crap materials. Guessing vane(s) came off first and jammed the impeller and the drive ripped/ peeled the impeller from the shaft.

Assuming this was a no-name brand part and not Motorcraft or similar quality part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford