Parasitic Draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speede

Reaction score
I have an '04 Expedition that has a parasitic battery drain. The electronics system goes to sleep after 45 minutes and the draw drops to less than 10 milliamps and everything seems to be ideal. However, after about 3 hours, something wakes up that draws close to 810 milliamps. Any ideas?

I've checked the rear wiper motor park issue, but that doesn't seem to be the cause.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any aftermarket items? In the past forum members usually find their problem lies with some electrical item they, or the prior owner installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

speede

Reaction score
I found the problem! It seems that the DVD player wakes up all by itself!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well their you go, now you have to figure out whether to repair or replace. Does the DVD have another item that powers it up? You may have to pull the unit completely till you find out why it's powering up. One of the other guys might have an answer for you. I don't have the wiring experience or schematics they do.

OP
OP
S

speede

Reaction score
I'm thinking I'd love to just remove it...I started another thread looking for a block off plate or something. Even with 5 kids the thing was maybe used a handful of times, and gets in the way when you load the truck up. I'm thinking that I'll just pull the fuse. It looks like the only other thing that is on that fuse are the backseat controls for the radio.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can't find a block off plate, I'd give Crutchfield a call, they seem to have everything. We have a place called Tap plastics here in San Francisco that sell plastic. You can make your own, or pay them to make one.

JoeD

Reaction score
OP - Is there a disk in the unit when it wakes up? Display closed?

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the door switch circuit and timer have anything to do with this issue....