Performance Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimb726

Reaction score
So I have a question, I am new to the extended length Fords/Lincolns, but not new to Expeditions. We have had several, most recently a 2006 EB that we just traded in on a 2007 Navigator L. My question is, for those of you who have gone from a standard length to an extended length or vice versa, did you notice a significant difference in acceleration, especially from a stop? Mine just seems to lack oomph. It has 90K on it, I replaced all 8 plugs and coil packs a couple of weeks ago with Motorcraft parts, and I had it in at the dealer last week for some warranty work and they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it. I realize that being a foot longer adds some weight but this seems to be really noticable, especially compared to my 06.

Thanks in advance for any insight

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only seems right with the same motor but extra weight for extension of vehicle...

OP
OP
J

jimb726

Reaction score
only seems right with the same motor but extra weight for extension of vehicle...

Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking. I guess we will find out this upcoming week. Taking it on a 2500 mile round trip. The main reason we got this was for the 6 speed in hoped for slightly better fuel economy. Fingers crossed.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find that the EL's feel a good bit slower. Also, the brakes feel weaker. Admittedly, I am not sure how much of it is actual performance difference and how much just feel, but they do leave some to be desired in terms of performance.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well like Freeway said, they have the same figures as the 5.4L in a non-extended Ex from the same year, but the extended length adds some extra weight. Probably atleast a few hundred pounds. Naturally it should feel a little slower.

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
could possibly be a different rear end also. I went from an 06 4x4 (standard length 4sp tranny) to an 11 2wd (standard 6sp tranny) and the 06 definitely was quicker. Odd thing is my 4x4 had 3.73 reard end and no tow package, my 11 has tow package but 3.31 rear end. Never thought to even check that. The tuner has offset a little of that though.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find that the EL's feel a good bit slower. Also, the brakes feel weaker. Admittedly, I am not sure how much of it is actual performance difference and how much just feel, but they do leave some to be desired in terms of performance.

I came from a 4.6 2002 Expy so the 5.4 EL is a rocket in comparison! :D I;ve found that I get better mileage with the EL and it does better with a load when we're traveling. No surprise there since its got 75 more HP.

Interesting comment about the brakes. One of my ongoing frustrations is the squishy brake pedal and overall feel in my EL.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in the "check the rear ratio camp". If not mistaken(and I'm sure I could be) the EL came 3.31 or 3.55. Special order available for the 3.73. The oomph you lack at the line is offset by the taller gear at cruising speed. I like the 3.73 and ordered it that way.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I've been told all EL's come with 3.73's.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jimb726

Reaction score
I'm in the "check the rear ratio camp". If not mistaken(and I'm sure I could be) the EL came 3.31 or 3.55. Special order available for the 3.73. The oomph you lack at the line is offset by the taller gear at cruising speed. I like the 3.73 and ordered it that way.

And at the risk of sounding like an idiot, how do I know? Is there a code I am looking for or do I need to look for a tag on the rear end? I thought I had 3.73, but if I had 3.31 or 3.55 that would explain it.