Performance Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, went back and researched, you have a 3.73, that's how they came. You're just fighting the extra weight penalty for the EL. I have a programmer for ya to help offset if interested. It will make a difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jimb726

Reaction score
Dib, thanks for verifying. I suspected it was the original weight. Ironically I bought a programmer yesterday to offset, but I appreciate the offer.

Thanks Everyone.

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i don't have the extended, but i do have a super chips
i ran stock tune for a while, the car was slow all around!
i put maybe 8k on the 87 octane tune on superchips, it was a improvement in shifting but not by much in terms of pedal feel
i put about 3k on the 91 performance tune, and holy smokes the big difference! awesome pedal feel, and shifting, who would have figured that a tune can do so much.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe cuz i have 2nd gen but i feel diff on 87 perfomance with my superchips 1950

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered a Flashpaq yesterday. It should be here next week. I'm curious to see how much it helps since we're going to Az on the 5th.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the Ford website, all EL's come with the 3.73 rear end. A 3.31 would certainly improve off the line acceleration!

The only reason I can figure that the EL has a different rear end is highway fuel economy - the taller rear end yields lower RPM's which help offset the extra weight.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the Ford website, all EL's come with the 3.73 rear end. A 3.31 would certainly improve off the line acceleration!

The only reason I can figure that the EL has a different rear end is highway fuel economy - the taller rear end yields lower RPM's which help offset the extra weight.

You have that backwards. The 3.73's give better off the line acceleration. The 3.31's give lower cruise rpm.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on YellerCobra's post. 3.73 gears will have better acceleration. My truck has the HD towing package with the 3.73's from the factory for that reason.