Photo cell mod '03 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djeuch

Reaction score
This may work on other Ford trucks... please let me know if you have a similar setup.

I have always had the complaint that the automatic headlights don't turn on early enough... it has to be downright dark for them to turn on - probably 30-60 minutes after when I would like them on.

Ford has NO adjustment for this.

The simple change is to unplug the photo sensor (and thus also the red flashing alarm LED) and the lights always come on, but under bright sunlight, you can't see the dash any more.

Thus, the idea was born - what about a resistor to modify the photo cell sensitivity?

Once I took it apart, I came up with a much easier idea.

Required tools:

flathead screndriver (to pry the piece out)
Some sort of pliers
(optional) 1/4 in. hex screwdriver (can use pliers)
One hole punch (not the tool - the actual paper hole left over!)

Instructions:

First pry off the panel that holds the flashing red LED and photo sensor.
100_0150.jpg

Use a screwdriver (short) and gently pry it up - clips are on the sides
100_0151.jpg

Closeup
100_0152.jpg

Screwdriver points to the plastic retaining clip - push it in to remove the connector
100_0153.jpg

Remove the two hex screws to release the box from the trim piece.
100_0154.jpg

OP
OP
D

djeuch

Reaction score
The inside slides out... (needs just a little force on the "dome" to release
100_0155.jpg

100_0156.jpg

Closeup disassembled
100_0157.jpg

I removed the "dome" so have something to push on (later). Can be removed with a smaller flathead screwdriver on the one side...
100_0158.jpg

100_0159.jpg

OP
OP
D

djeuch

Reaction score
Here is the tricky part - as you can see, I've SERIOUSLY bent the plastic out of the way to get the circuit board to release... Unfortunately, I see no other easy way to do this, so proceed with caution. If it breaks, I think it can still be assembled fairly easily because the wires could hold it in place, but it might rattle.
100_0160.jpg

Your 3 pieces
100_0161.jpg

The green cap is directly over the photo transistor. Since it's a transistor, Ford could be using either tthe resistive side or non-resistive flow of current to measure sunlight, making my resistor idea a whole lot more complicated, potentially... but... easier method!
100_0162.jpg

100_0163.jpg

Underside of the cap along with the "hole" from a piece of paper (perfect size, I might add)
100_0164.jpg

OP
OP
D

djeuch

Reaction score
Drop the hole in the cap, and then drop the circut board on top of the upside-down cap (so the hole doesn't fall out)
100_0165.jpg

Pliers can snap the board back into place
100_0166.jpg

Slide the pins carefully back into the holes on the other plastic piece
100_0167.jpg

How it looks right before they snap together.
100_0168.jpg

Position back on the trim piece and screw it back on
100_0169.jpg

OP
OP
D

djeuch

Reaction score
How to put it back
100_0170.jpg

Snap on the connector
100_0171.jpg

snap into place
100_0172.jpg

Modification complete!
100_0173.jpg

Now I admit sometimes the lights come on when I'm in the shade on a not-so-bright day, but when that happens, the dash is still easily viewable.

I used one 20# white, unprinted "hole" - obviously more than one hole or darker colors will make the lights come on earlier.

Best part, it's completely under warranty still!

Enjoy! :)

Ray

Reaction score
I read with interest your modification. I think it is a good one. But you nne to know that the new ones are much more sentive. My 2004 will auto turn on the lights at a dorp of a hat. While sitting under a bridge in bright day light the lights will come in in a coulpe of seconds. So Ford has made a mod. in the last year.