Please Help! I'm a noob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmill1

Reaction score
I have an '01 XLT, nothing too special. Today I did a typical oil change, positive it was the right kind and amount of oil and had no issues driving after. Drive it to the car wash and rinsed off the engine (lots of grime from typical use). Since then, my Expy's been practically bouncing while the engine runs. Looking under the hood while it's running, I can see the top plastic part (air intake?) bouncing. When driving, it's got a major lag in the acceleration and accelerats in short bursts. Anybody have some advice? I'm sorry, I know I sound pretty dumb, don't know too much about my car

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bad news, you got water down past the boot of one of the COP's and it is shorting a plug. The bouncing is caused by a misfire in the engine. Do you have a check engine light on?

OP
OP
J

Jmill1

Reaction score
I do... but it's always been on due to a wiring problem. What would you suggest doing now? Thank you for the reply btw

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it is on for another reason as well now. Here is the best plan of action.

Stop by a local parts house (Autozone, O'Reilly) and ask them to pull the codes from the truck. They will do this for free in most cases. They will then be able to tell you that you have a code for a misfire on cylinder x (x being the number cylinder). From there you have to decide if you are going to fix it yourself or pay someone to do it.

It is not a hard job depending on the cylinder (and your ability with a wrench), but it is not easy either, and there is some risk.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the site.

Glad you found the place.

From what you describe, does not sound like anything too serious. As already mentioned, just some water got in where it shouldn't have.

No worries, a little research and some elbow grease, and you'll get it all fixed up