Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 99 eddie bauer need to know how to get all the molding off including the lower moulding. 2 questions

1. Are there holes on the side of the fender and rear or just underneath where the screws are. I think there are clips but are there holes under the clips that would show if I took them off?
2. Are there holes on the side door panels on the door molding? I know that the top door molding is just tape.

While I have your attention how the heck do I get front and rear molding off the fenders without killing them?

Thank you in advance!!!! A newbie

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never done any body work to mine, but had a delivery scratch back in '97 to the rear wheel molding that they just unscrewed, repainted, and replaced. So from what I recall from the tech, are just screws, but can't swear that there aren't any push-pin rivet clips on the lowers though.

as far as the door adhesive, you can try the fishing line sawing technique, then some remover.

PanHandler.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you just don't like the tan color of the molding, maybe consider plasti-dipping it to black. Much more safe than gambling on removing the trim. However if you need it off for rust repair or something, then I would do as Panhandler has recommended.

OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate the trim on the sides it is coming off. Plasti Dip is the reason it bubbles at those points. The fenders is what I am wondering about are there holes in the fender?? I want to paint them with bedliner. Maybe I will just leave them on and paint but the sides have got to come off.

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The exterior door side moldings that comes stock with the chrome stripe in the middle is simply held on with 2 sided tape. Easiest way to remove them is to use a heat gun until it is hot to the touch and the firmly and steadily pull the trim. I use plastic trim removal tools that you can pick up from harbor freight for a couple of bucks. I use the heat gun on the leftover black tape and roll it off by hand, btw this is a super pain in the butt. I have heard that bug and tar remover sprayed on helps to remove it a bit easier. After all the tape is removed it is best to buff it out and it looks great when its done. As far as the remaining moldings and trim it depends on which ones you are specifically talking about. I know with my 98 XLT I have small black trim pieces on the bottom of the fender and rear 1/4 panels that are held on with the same 2 sided tape. It is best to leave those on due to being very good for rock guard. If you decide to mess with your emblems you will find that Ford loves to put huge line up holes in the fenders and the rear hatch. Easiest thing for them is to remove the emblems the same way as described above and then plasti-dip them. Doing it that way makes it a much cleaner job and much less time trying to tape around the letters.