• 4.6 engine, 4x2

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 4.6 engine, 4x4

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • 5.4 engine, 4x2

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • 5.4 engine, 4x4

Votes: 59 77.6%
  • I don't know, but geez does it suck fuel!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Resqtech

Reaction score
I knew it would drink fuel but its a V8.

It's also my first V8 and "American" car, my previous ones were a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo and a 1999 Trooper...both of which were great vehicles.

I kind of stumbled across the 04 Expy I'm driving now after my 99 Trooper lost the power steering pump.

I have to say I enjoy the power on available with the 5.4

As for 4x2 or 4x4...I live near Pittsburgh, PA....everything is on a hill....I spent the begining of this past winter with the 4x4 not working on my Trooper which plain sucked. I also spend some time up north at camp so for me 4x4 is the way to go

davesexplorer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah 4x4 is great up here in PA. I've had two explorers in the past both 4x4 which did me perfectly, now the expedition is like the big brother - I love it.

fordman

Reaction score
5.4L Standard

To my understanding the 5.4L is standard for the new EXPs. I believe Ford offered a 4.6L years ago. I have the 5.4L in my 4x4 and must say it's a 'Beast'. There's more than enough power (torque) to move the vehicle and to pull up to 9000 lbs.

Last edited:

Jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
i've got the 5.4 4x4 i've been into bronco's for years so when it was time for something new it was only natural to go with the expedition. I feel like we have yet to tap the available power it has. we've driven it on the beach a few times in really soft sand and it had no problems at all. i use it to drive from orlando to cape hatteras once a month, its a nice traveling ride. plenty of room and all.

digitalH2O

Reaction score
My days of owning 4x2s are over. I never know where I'm going to be stationed next and in case there's snow, I need 4x4. Plus I like the 5.4. If I could buy a new one, like an 09 or 10 model year, it would be this exact set-up (even if a smaller engine was still offered). Or I may wait and see if (when?) FoMoCo puts the Coyote in the Expy.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im OK with the 5.4, I personally like the 4.6 more from a mod standpoint, but the 5.4 has crazy torque

The 4x4 system is awesome in these trucks I love my 4x4

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like mine. the only thing different I would have done is gotten an 03 or 04 instead.
There are more upgrade options available for the 2v vs the 3v.

TexasAngel34

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have the 5.4L Trition V8 4X4 EB and i LOVE it... runs great, nice and smooth and gives me the power i need when i need it... i can go a good 450 miles with a full tank...

KC Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5.4 4X4 - 2005

For point of reference, I had an 01 Explorer Sport Trac, 4.0 V6, 4X4. I averaged 19 on the highway, and 14 in town. I traded it in on my Expedition, and I get the same 14 MPG in town, and I get 18 on the highway. For the same mileage in town, and only 1 MPG less on the highway, I can only say that I wish I had done this sooner. The extra room, 50% more HP, and 60% more torque make it more than worth it. I have yet to tow anything, but I have a 5X10 utility trailer, and an 18' boat on tandem trailer that I used to pull with the Sport Trac and I am sure this will be night and day difference there. 4X4 works well, and I like the Auto 4X4 setting for bad weather when the wife is driving. Not to mention the RSC system is highly rated too. Really happy with the Expedition overall.

One complaint on the expedition is poor preparation and painting from the factory on the rear liftgate. Paint bubling up on edges of center recess where license is located.

Last edited: