Poor Heat in Both Front & Rear Units

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shinobi'sZ

Reaction score
Thank you shinobi for your response. I will keep the possible leak problem in mind. I did have the shop flush the cores. They pinched off the lines individually and forward & back flushed each one until nothing came out of them. I took my truck to a radiator shop who specialized just in this. Right now my truck get enough warm air to keep it comfortable in the cabin. I would say it gets to around 70 degrees inside the cabin after half an hour on a 35 degree day. Fortunately our expedition is our extra vehicle that gets used mainly in the summer to pull our popup trailer for camping or for when one of our other vehicles are in a shop.

I am contempt right now with my truck. I will try the CLR flush when I start losing heat. I asked about the hoses & CLR because others on here have claimed to sprung leaks in their hoses after using the prestone flush, sometimes as early as 3 months.

The Prestone flush is an acid like CLR, both which are contained in plastic. More than likely the people who have had issues are having leaks from the actual core itself after the rust was removed. Im doubtful it would eat the thick rubber hose enough or melt it. I spilt some on the outside of my hoses and it cleaned them, they look like brand new hoses. No sign of eating the rubber.

gkelly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I been debating on doing this I definitely have a clog but shops tell me that it will definitely leak after they reverse it but I also just seen a video on YouTube of two guys doing a heater core swap in 45 min completely removed and installed! So I think I will have a shop reverse flush and if it leaks ill have a nice job to do one day

vivaster

Reaction score
I been debating on doing this I definitely have a clog but shops tell me that it will definitely leak after they reverse it but I also just seen a video on YouTube of two guys doing a heater core swap in 45 min completely removed and installed! So I think I will have a shop reverse flush and if it leaks ill have a nice job to do one day

I would find a radiator shop that specializes in flushing. The shop I took mine to pinched off each core individually and forward & back flushed each one until nothing came out. Whereas my regular mechanic changed a thermostat for me and then told me to change the heater cores without diagnosing any further. it probably is 45 minutes to change the heater core, but the front one requires hours to remove and re-install the dash.

gkelly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would find a radiator shop that specializes in flushing. The shop I took mine to pinched off each core individually and forward & back flushed each one until nothing came out. Whereas my regular mechanic changed a thermostat for me and then told me to change the heater cores without diagnosing any further. it probably is 45 minutes to change the heater core, but the front one requires hours to remove and re-install the dash.

They had the dash out in 15 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPtM2vWMSZ4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

vivaster

Reaction score
The biggest misconception is the feeling of the hoses to see if they are hot.

First, the factory OEM hoses are VERY well insulated, thick and beefy and keep the heat well within the hose. As I posted earlier in the thread I could hold the hose no problem for a min or so until it was just a tad bit uncomfortable.

Cutting the hose and replacing the first half of it with a foot of auto parts bought hose (to rule out restrictor) and you can't hold the auto parts part of the hose for more than 2 seconds. Because the auto parts hose is for crap and not insulated like the OEM hoses.

So that test just doesn't tell me anything.....

Here is what I am still trying to figure out......

1) How can BOTH front and rear units be having a problem at the same time? The only thing in common is the water flowing through the lines, and we know its hot.

2) Am I safe to assume that the water line has a tee in it and the front and rear units are in series somehow?. Is there a diagram of the piping on the DVD I bought or can someone draw it for me? If I blow in the hose with my mouth I get water coming out the other end so I don't have a clog right?

3) How can I have two bad blend doors one in the front unit, one in the rear unit?

4) Why do people on EBay, auto parts stores and other places say there is a heater line valve for my 2002 Expedition if there isn't one?

Sooo frustrated, but appreciate all the help thus far.... Just wish someone had the magic answer.....

Saving up to take it to ford for diagnosis or do a water pump myself if it gets above freezing long enough here.....

Hi, did you ever get it worked out? Did the wayerpump fix it? Maybe you can try the CLR like shinobi did. I was told my mechanic that over time the heater cores develope a layer of gunk/corosion on the inside of it and the heat transfer is lessened to the cores themselves.

I also read that the alternators could also cause problems with the coolant system.

Do you know if you are getting good coolant temperature, I think my mechanic checked the temperature at the thermostat housing. I've read that if the fan clutch was stuck, the fan over cool the system.

Sorry, I couldn't help, but these may be other things to look at.

Shinobi'sZ

Reaction score
Hi, did you ever get it worked out? Did the wayerpump fix it? Maybe you can try the CLR like shinobi did. I was told my mechanic that over time the heater cores develope a layer of gunk/corosion on the inside of it and the heat transfer is lessened to the cores themselves.

I also read that the alternators could also cause problems with the coolant system.

Do you know if you are getting good coolant temperature, I think my mechanic checked the temperature at the thermostat housing. I've read that if the fan clutch was stuck, the fan over cool the system.

Sorry, I couldn't help, but these may be other things to look at.

My front heater blows hot enough now that I have to lower the temp on the head unit to 72* without sweating. I don't see any leaks on the floorboard or under the vehicle in the rear where the rear Heatercore would leak from. I also have not seen a change in the coolant level. The rear Heatercore is easy to get too compared to the front. As for the guy saying somebody got the front dash out in 15 mins I have to call ******** on that.

B

bedrck46

I watched the video was about 15 minutes but was also on a F150 so they didn't have to contend with the center console and also was two people removing the dash

vivaster

Reaction score
My front heater blows hot enough now that I have to lower the temp on the head unit to 72* without sweating. I don't see any leaks on the floorboard or under the vehicle in the rear where the rear Heatercore would leak from. I also have not seen a change in the coolant level. The rear Heatercore is easy to get too compared to the front. As for the guy saying somebody got the front dash out in 15 mins I have to call ******** on that.

I don't think we should call it bull, but the average guy would take longer. I watched the video and they did it, but they are fast and seem to know where everything was.. The book says it's an 8 hour job. My coworker used to work at Ford and the fastest he's seen it done was 3 hours. He used to do it in 5 to 6 hours, but he was careful with customer cars. Thanks for the update on your truck. I will try the CLR this fall.

gkelly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well i bit the bullet and had my heater core flushed and back flushed taking a chance since the core could leak and so far so good no leaks but my heat is so damn hot I cant keep it on for that long .. definitely not going to complain about that! It was getting cold driving that truck with the clog!

Shinobi'sZ

Reaction score
I don't think we should call it bull, but the average guy would take longer. I watched the video and they did it, but they are fast and seem to know where everything was.. The book says it's an 8 hour job. My coworker used to work at Ford and the fastest he's seen it done was 3 hours. He used to do it in 5 to 6 hours, but he was careful with customer cars. Thanks for the update on your truck. I will try the CLR this fall.

Comparing removal of a F150 dash to an Expedition Dash and telling people that it can be removed in 15 mins is bull. The Heatercore might be the same but the dash is more involved.