Popping Noise From Rear A/C Blower '03 Expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JThale13

Reaction score
I've read this entire thread and I removed the cup holder and rear tray and also popped the rear panel part way out and was able to get the temp blend motor unplugged and it stopped so I then removed that motor and opened it but I don't think it looks like there is anything wrong with the gears. Maybe I'm blind lol any thoughts?

JThale13

Reaction score
LOL nevermind I am blind I found on the small gear one tooth was missing. Oreilly's told me they have the motor for fourty and ford said eighty five. I'm about to check rockauto.com.

Asim

Reaction score
The rear a/c blower on my '03 Expo has started to make a popping noise whenever I run the rear a/c. I pulled of the rear tray to get a closer looking and it almost sounds like there is a ball or something that just keeps getting tossed around by the blower. Of course the factory warranty just expired so I'd like to at least give a shot at trying to figure out the problem myself. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks,:shootout:

Dear I had faced this and resolved. There are two electromechanical gedgets with rear A/C in which one controls air flow b/w roof or bottom and other controls hot /cold air flip movement. This contain small plastic gears which gets wear off as having constant pressure from PID controller motor inside, so you need to replace these gadgets. For me this is not a reliable setup. I replaced gears my self and it is working even in 55 degree celcius in Saudi Arabia for the last 2 years. Thanks

aesani

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2003 Expedition, after digging into it I discovered it was the plastic gear mechanism that sits on top of the housing and actuates the flapper door inside the A/C. Of course Ford doesn't sell just the gear, so I removed it and installed a screw in the top of the housing to hold the door in the open position and it has worked fine for two years now...
Hope this helps...

cherokeexj32

Reaction score
So if the popping only occurs from when you want rear air (between either the roof or floor) I would need to replace the directional unit, right? At rockauto.com it shows Dorman 604213, is that the correct one? A part of this series of posts talks about the Dorman 604202 but that is used to control cold vs warm air, right?

nardone24

Reaction score
Is this the right part?

Dorman 604213

Attachments

• getimage.jpg
    getimage.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 105

BruceJr

Reaction score
Rear A/C

i had the same problem on my 03, there is a motor that sits on the top of that box that the door is in, if you remove the little tray on the top of the plastic covering above it you will see a square box that has a motor and cheep plastic gears in it, the teeth break on the gears and cause the motor to not be able to close the door all the way.
i think it is called a heater door actuator motor on the rock auto site, it is easy to replace and it solved my issue.
Hope this helps.

roccaas

Reaction score
Sparky's Answers: 2003 Ford Expedition, Clicking From Rear A/C Actuator

This may already be posted, but this is the step by step that I have done (twice). 45 minutes, go ahead and replace BOTH Blend door actuators (or you'll have to do this TWICE). I bought two spares, One "D" drive, and one "Star" drive in case this happens on a long hot road trip. I can't let my poor old Labrador go without her AC, and I can't go crazy for hours on end listening to the wife and the grandfather clock in the rear panel.

I use O'Reillys for most of this kind of stuff, reasonable prices, good selection and CAR GUYS WHO KNOW HOW A CAR RUNS~~~NOT JUST A CASH REGISTER!!

Last edited: