Possible Issue with ESOF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph

Reaction score
Hey Gang!
I have noticed some peculiar issues with my 1997 Expedition XLT 4x4 while in 2wd. When turning from a stop, the front wheels sound like they are (for lack of a better vocabulary) "gripping" for traction.

Additional info
-The front drive shaft will spin freely by hand

-With the front end jacked up each wheel will spin independently, and will not spin the front driveshaft

-I mounted a camera under the truck and saw that the front driveshaft spins even with the ESOF switch in 2wd position.

-Both 4hi and 4lo make a clicking noise in the dash and sounds as though they engage but when turning the switch back to 2wd there is no confirmation click from the dash or elsewhere.

I have decided to not drive the truck until I figure this issue out, as to prevent damage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When in 2wd and you have the front wheels off the ground, do the wheels spin completely independent of each other? By that, I mean you spin one side and the other doesn't even slightly move? At the same time with the engine running what do the front wheels do when you shift into A4WD? Then into 4H? As far as the dash relay clicks for the transfer case engagement, you should hear them click when you shift into 4H and again into 4L. They should click going back to 4H and again to A4WD. They don't click in or out of 2H to A4WD.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Sounds like the center axle disconnect. Often times the steel rod that goes through the aluminum housing will corrode and the lever won't engage (or disengage).

Use that camera to see if the lever on the front axle moves when you turn 4wd on and off.

OP
OP
J

Joseph

Reaction score
When front of truck is lifted and in 2wd both wheels turn freely without any movement in the other wheel. When engine is on and put in A4WD, when turning one wheel; the wheel on the other side spins in the opposite direction.

With camera mounted underneath and switching from 2wd to A4wd to 4hi, the lever on the front axle moves.

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds like the system is working. You should be able to spin the front drive shaft by hand in 2WD like you said. Your front axle sounds like it is disconnecting. Not sure what else to tell you. How about your alignment? If the front is out of alignment, you can get tire chirping when you turn even if it doesn't pull left or right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joseph

Reaction score
After driving around, I got under the truck, and saw that the lever on the front axle was in the engaged position. It appears to be engaging itself. I put it in 4wd and then back to 2wd drive, and it disengaged. Then after driving a few miles, I checked and the front axle was engaged again.

Last edited: