potential new owner...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

julijn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a black 2018 limited with the 302a package and the bucket seats..i have two questions...what should I be paying for it this late in the game..initial quote is 4200 under sticker and he said its 500 above invoice.. sounds good to me \but just wondering what thoughts are.. and two the only thing I am missing dearly is the tow package...I don't tow now but might in the future.. nothing crazy... will I suffer greatly without the tow package??is the tow package a must have on theis vehicle??many thanks....

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a black 2018 limited with the 302a package and the bucket seats..i have two questions...what should I be paying for it this late in the game..initial quote is 4200 under sticker and he said its 500 above invoice.. sounds good to me \but just wondering what thoughts are.. and two the only thing I am missing dearly is the tow package...I don't tow now but might in the future.. nothing crazy... will I suffer greatly without the tow package??is the tow package a must have on theis vehicle??many thanks....
I don't have the tow package. It might ding your resale value a little bit, but if you're buying this to keep it for more than 5 or 6 years, the difference will be negligible. And it's not like you MUST have the tow package to tow...the thing can still tug 5000 pounds around without that package. A lot of folks on here will tell you the upgraded radiator and the higher gear ratio is worth the money, but to me it wasn't.

If you're spending this much money, buy what you want not what you think you should buy.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

You can't effectively add the tow package afterwards, at least not for any sane amount of money, so if you think you may tow a decent sized trailer later you might as well buy it that way now. Per the 2018 Ford Towing Guide, Expy SWB 4x4 can tow a trailer that is under 6000 lbs gross trailer weight, 600 lbs tongue weight, and 36 sq ft frontal area without the HD towing package. To me the bigger radiator etc was worth it. ;)

$500 above invoice is OK, not great, as long as they don't jack you on trade in or interest rate. Do you qualify for X-Plan pricing through your employer? If not you can join the Mustang Club of America and get a slightly better price plus capped doc fees which in my case saved me $700 alone.

Last edited:

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score

6-7k. Got my wife's blue limited 4x4 302a with 22s and tow for almost 7k under.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can add the tow package cooling relatively cheaply. Just a radiator and trans cooler, retrofitted by many on the 3rd gens. Some years were one radiator for both options and just trans cooler differences and some years were both radiator and trans cooler. Exterior dimensions and hoses normally line right up. Then any old joe can add a 7 pin and brake controller.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure, but you're going to end up paying more than the package costs unless you do the work yourself. And you still won't increase the vehicle's towing limits.

OP
OP
julijn

julijn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
80,000 out the door with taxes and everything...4x4, 30a2, and bucket 2nd row seats.no tow ..sounds high to be a great deal.....no?

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can add the tow package cooling relatively cheaply. Just a radiator and trans cooler, retrofitted by many on the 3rd gens. Some years were one radiator for both options and just trans cooler differences and some years were both radiator and trans cooler. Exterior dimensions and hoses normally line right up. Then any old joe can add a 7 pin and brake controller.

Best part of the Tow Package (for me) is the eLSD (electronic rear Locking Diff) that can also be manually locked at low speeds. My Expy Max has been performed quite well in some deep sand. Would like a Tow Package with the 3:31 gears, I do not tow near the max and would like a bit lower revs on the freeway, tend to run 80+ on the freeway