power loss and wrench icon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty sure I just got bit by this bug. 71000 miles on 2017 XLT 4x4. Truck entered wrench mode and no throttle response halfway between STL and Chicago in the middle of nowhere. Pulled off onto the grass on the side of the interstate to make sure I didn’t spill the fluids/oil, all were fine. Nothing running hot, but truck idle was extremely rough. Turned off and turned back on, made it the rest of the way home without issue. A few bonehead moves:

First, I accidentally left my Bluetooth OBD2 scanner in my FiL’s truck, so I couldn’t confirm anything, but based off all that occurred, it vividly reminded me of this thread.

Second, this throttle body was sitting in my cart at parts.ford.com for weeks so I could have one as a spare in case I ever got stranded by something like this, and I just never pulled the trigger.

Got home without further incident and used my other scanner to check, and, as with the others above, no codes.

Hopefully this is actually the problem. Will update.

OP
OP
G

gkretro

Reaction score
The whole thing about no codes is kind of silly. If an error condition is happening, which makes the wrench icon come on, a code should be logged.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Throttle bodies don't code for some reason

Then again, it might be because the whole damn OBD system is for failing people on smog inspections, not for ECU diagnostics

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Ford Expedition Ecoboost V6. It did the same thing to me. They said it was a sensor in the transmission. Supposedly they used the same transmission as the Ford trucks and they have a recall on them. Just my two cents.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Ford Expedition Ecoboost V6. It did the same thing to me. They said it was a sensor in the transmission. Supposedly they used the same transmission as the Ford trucks and they have a recall on them. Just my two cents.

According to the NHTSA website, there have been no safety recalls issued for the 2017 Ford Expedition.

Who are “they”?

Can you provide more information on the recall, and perhaps check your service invoice?

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the new one in. Pretty easy job, you could definitely do this on the side of the road if you HAD to. 8mm deep socket/ratchet took care of the hose clamps and throttle body bolts.
The old one was pretty oily, more than I would’ve expected considering I have a catch can, but I guess I have no frame of reference for that thought.
Hope the problem is fixed.
F106A3A6-0809-4EFD-A03D-77983249229D.jpeg3F04F7D8-D1B1-451E-B1ED-DD4C9110FD7B.jpeg

catmandu

Reaction score
Oh you can definitely do it on the side of the road / hotel parking lot. With a brand new cheap Chinese socket set. In Laramie, WY while driving from MD to NV while towing a fully loaded 16' enclosed trailer. :rolleyes:

Thank you interwebs for alerting me to this problem that happens around 60-70k miles, it seems.