Power loss/poor throttle res. in 2006 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok... I replaced the output shaft speed sensor that's located on the top of the tranny... Absolutely no change in performance/operation of the truck

I will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning as I am doing work on the cameras at the ford dealership (lol) and they will be reflashing the computer on my 06 and then if it's not fixed they're gonna diagnose it for me because I have no codes and also no clue to what the issue is... Still hoping it's not anything major but I doesn't seem like I'd be that lucky at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
You know a speed sensor does trigger a CEL and you say u have none... So it's not a sensor issue. I'm telling you man something went haywire with your ECU get it read and see what it's trying to tell you

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know a speed sensor does trigger a CEL and you say u have none... So it's not a sensor issue. I'm telling you man something went haywire with your ECU get it read and see what it's trying to tell you

Think you're right... My problem is I don't have anything pending or any codes at all so tomorrow I'm just gonna have to dealer diagnose it for me so I at least know what I need to fix

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got some codes finally...
C1288 and C1440 and those are the only codes it gave me, says transducer failure which is the sensor on the brake booster... I have a new one I just picked up and haven't put it on yet... Tranny making all kinds of trouble now song with its shuddering and bogging and early shifting it has now almost completely decided to not go into reverse anymore...
When I pull the selector into R it just revs up the RPMs and doesn't go anywhere probably 9/10 times and when it does move it jerks and then everything shaking and rattles and it feels like the whole entire truck is about to fall apart but then fine again when I am driving on the road at highway speeds and I can shift through all the other gears with only my minor issues...

If this little transducer fixes that trans issue then I believe that pigs can fly......

Edit: let me add the the output speed sensor gave me no change at all AND when I select reverse it does not make the clunk like the tranny is going into reverse..

Maloburro

Reaction score
Did you have Ford reflash and read it? Mine has the same issue. It shifts too quick then bogs. I also get the torque converter shudder. It's when driving in neighborhoods at 25mph but also seems reluctant to downshift at times on the highway. I haven't had the issue with reverse though. It got better when I changed the tranny filter but it's still there.

I'm very interested to hear what Ford says.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have Ford reflash and read it? Mine has the same issue. It shifts too quick then bogs. I also get the torque converter shudder. It's when driving in neighborhoods at 25mph but also seems reluctant to downshift at times on the highway. I haven't had the issue with reverse though. It got better when I changed the tranny filter but it's still there.

I'm very interested to hear what Ford says.
Me as well... But no I was not able to et the reflash done yet because my guy at the dealer was not there and I'm not gonna pay for it if I can just do it through him... This week I'll go for the reflash and diagnosis and let this thread know what they tell me.... No longer having reverse is making this it must be something in the tranny... So therefore I've already got a tranny shop lined up to take a look at it when it's done at the dealer and when I'm done with the transducer (15 min job lol)

Maloburro

Reaction score
Hey Gruz any updates? I'm very interested to hear since mine seems to have similar issues.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Gruz any updates? I'm very interested to hear since mine seems to have similar issues.
Nothing yet .... Went to change the transducer and the master cylinder cracked and broke... New master cylinder goes on today hopefully and then well see if that transducer was really causing the problem (doubtful) then it's going to go to a transmission shop over here for diagnosis and possible repair because I am losing my mind trying to find out what's causing this

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Did you ever get the PCM read?

You're doing the classic "throwing money for nothing" situation.

Get the PCM read, by the sound of it your PCM took a dive not your transmission.

Take it to the dealer, fuss up and pay thee $125 charge and it might just save you the $2000+ you'll drop on a new trans.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get the PCM read?

You're doing the classic "throwing money for nothing" situation.

Get the PCM read, by the sound of it your PCM took a dive not your transmission.

Take it to the dealer, fuss up and pay thee $125 charge and it might just save you the $2000+ you'll drop on a new trans.
PCM read? Like go in the system and check for codes and scan everything?