Power Running Board Settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

roybus14

Reaction score
They ever get you taken care of?
At a new dealer today. Will keep you posted.

Question: the power running boards should have the same features and functionality regardless if it’s a Limited or Platinum or whether it has the 12-inch screen or 15-inch screen, right????

Regards,

Flathead40

Reaction score
I still think this is some BS Ford made up to avoid having to fix a bunch of vehicles with bad programming. I have a ‘22 Expedition and a ‘23 F-150. Both have power running boards and the exact same settings on the screen. The F-150 extended timer works exactly as I expect. The boards stay out longer regardless of doors opening or closing. They only close earlier if you lock it or start driving. The Expedition extended timer only works if you don’t open the doors, which is 100% worthless. They are constantly cycling in and out and you can’t even make it around the vehicle without them closing again. I thought they were a bunch of idiots with the programming until I got my F-150, now I’m starting to think they’re lying.
You say that your F-150 works fine but the Expedition does not? I would be curious to the see how the modules are configured for the F-150 vs the Expedition, specifically the DSM (drivers seat module), BCM (body control module), and APIM. These vehicles have the same modules so it would be interesting to compare and see what is configured differently on the F-150 for these. Then we could fix it with ForScan. My F-150 doesn't have powered running boards or else I would look at it. On a side note, it is very irritating that Ford does not seem to care enough to actually fix the problem.

OP
OP
R

roybus14

Reaction score
At a new dealer today. Will keep you posted.

Question: the power running boards should have the same features and functionality regardless if it’s a Limited or Platinum or whether it has the 12-inch screen or 15-inch screen, right????

Regards,
Latest update…..

Truck still at dealer but no fix in sight for the running boards. I actually called Ford’s 800 customer support number.

Got handed off to someone by another rep who informed them that I was having financial challenges which is the farthest thing from the truth.

So, the new rep informed me that this is indeed a technical issue and screen side should not matter.

He then said that Ford is struggling right now because with all of the new tech introduced on the trucks and SUVs, they lost technicians and engineers and are they struggling to get more and get them trained on the new technology.

So not only do they have a QA/QC coming off the line, but they also have a staffing and training issue. This makes since bcuz the dealer that my truck is at now, said that they are still waiting for a call back from the engineer that covers them from 2-3 weeks ago.

It’s great that the CEO is trying to fix the QA/QC process on the line but they need to address the staffing issue and not roll out new vehicles with new tech until they have the training and staff to support it…

So at this point, the rep at Ford is escalating my case up to the tech team and said that Ford will eventually fix my issues but it’s going to take time because of the process it has to go through up the chain.

The dealer is fixing my rattling issues in the liftgate by adding spacers to the clips inside the liftgate and insists that passenger front door issue is the clips from my TuxMats that is causing that rattle (not sure about that).

The running boards will remain an issue for the foreseeable future until they find a fix and push it out. I have the 3/36k and 8/100k warranties so I will stick with using them…

Regards,

USKflt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You say that your F-150 works fine but the Expedition does not? I would be curious to the see how the modules are configured for the F-150 vs the Expedition, specifically the DSM (drivers seat module), BCM (body control module), and APIM. These vehicles have the same modules so it would be interesting to compare and see what is configured differently on the F-150 for these. Then we could fix it with ForScan. My F-150 doesn't have powered running boards or else I would look at it. On a side note, it is very irritating that Ford does not seem to care enough to actually fix the problem.
If you could give me some specific lines to compare, I could try to get them for you sometime. I have my modules already backed up on the F-150 (added tow mirrors) but haven’t used ForScan on the Expedition yet and don’t keep my laptop here with me.

OP
OP
R

roybus14

Reaction score
Update - just got my truck back from 2nd dealer today…

Rattle in Liftgate - according to service tech, the liftgate was missing clips for the trim panel. Replaced clips and added spacers. No noise so far. Trim panel feels really solid and tight now.

Rattle/Squeak in Fr Pass Door - according to the svc tech, my TuxMat (floor mat) clips were causing the noise. Removed those clips, no noise so far. Will monitor…

Last but not least, the running board timing issue…..

According to Svc department, vehicles equipped w/12-inch display does not have the approach detection setting and cannot set running board timer. These options are only available for vehicles equipped with 15-inch display.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!!! It’s in my menu of settings on my 12-inch display!!!

I don’t see the logic behind one screen size having this feature and another one not? What is the premise or logic behind the one display having it over another?

If the premise behind the timer is to not wear out the running boards when loading/unloading groceries or luggage, last time I checked, ppl w/12-inch displays grocery shop and travel too!!

Someone help me understand please and thanks!!!

Flathead40

Reaction score
If you could give me some specific lines to compare, I could try to get them for you sometime. I have my modules already backed up on the F-150 (added tow mirrors) but haven’t used ForScan on the Expedition yet and don’t keep my laptop here with me.

Below are the blocks I'm curious about. There is approach detection involved with this as well as noted in the TSB, my understanding is the Exped's should have it but it does not work on many of them. I was able to turn ours on with Forscan except for deployment of running boards on approach. Which i believe the F-150s do.

DSM (Driver's Seat Module)
744-23-01 - This one should be different as the trucks have a kick switch on the running boards.
744-23-02 - xxxx **xx xx-- *These will be 00 on trucks on 01 on SUVs
744-24-01
744-24-02
744-31-01 (This one is the running board delay times)

BCM (Body Control Module) - This is where approach detection lives
726-18-01
726-27-01
726-45-01

APIM
*the value to look at. There are multiple functions associated to this value, so depending how vehicle is equipped there can be different values. I listed the possible values for the approach detection and running board related settings).

7DO-09-01 - **** xxxx xx -- (*Approach Detection Control. On Values: 4, 5, 6, 7, C, D, E, or F)
7D0-09-02 - xxxx zzz* xx-- (* this is PRB control version 1. Possible On values: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, B, D, or F)
7D0-09-04 - xxxx x*xx xx-- (* should be either: 9, B, D, or F for truck) (1, 3, 5, or 7 would also be valid for PRB Auto Timer)
7D0-09-05 - xxxx xx*x xx-- (* this is for PRB version 2 on: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, B, D, or F means on version 2 anything else means on Version 1 or off)

Last edited:

wannabeMtb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took my 22 Exp Max Ltd to dealer in July 2023 for same issue. They tried doing a bunch of programming. Then contacted Ford engineering. That communication with ford engineering went on for 1-2 months. At the end, dealer informed me that Ford claims this is a known bug and that Ford will be removing this feature completely by rolling out some software update to completely remove the 'Extended timer' option in the menu. The software update was guaranteed by the dealer (and ford) to happen by sept or oct of 2023. I now think that the software update is also a bogus claim I think since it has been 5 months since I was told that.

I gave up.

Now whenever I stop the vehicle, I go to menu and set the option to 'Out' so that it stays out till I start driving the next time. Annoying, yes, but it gets the job done. And since it is always out (while parked), it even avoids a retraction and opening cycle if the extended timer actually worked and it retracted at the end of 5 minutes.

zeecarr

Reaction score
My first post here... I got a 2023 Expedition a couple of months ago and the running boards were driving me crazy for all the reasons described in this thread. My temper real started to boil after finding that the "out" setting doesn't remember after the next startup and the "5 minute delay auto" setting doesn't ever work. I went ahead and got Forscan setup on my laptop with a USB scanner.

I used this from above:
"Block 744-31-01 is the one where the stow delay times are for the running boards. The values stored are for seconds (represented in Hex)

**xx xxxx xxxx - Door Delay Config (This is how soon they stow once door is closed.) Factory setting was 04 (4 seconds) I changed ours to 3C (60 seconds)."

For my setup I used the highest value possible "FF" instead of "3C". This equates to 255 seconds or 4 minutes and 15 seconds. Now I have plenty of time to load and unload groceries or the dog from multiple doors and not worry about these stupid boards wearing out. I can even pop in and out of a store, post office or drop the dog off at day care and get back to the truck before they go in.

I still wish they would simply roll out when you put the car in park + open a door and then not come back in until the car is rolling forward in drive the next time. They should stay out a week if need be! Also, when I'm in drive and pulling away there is WAY less chance of a child or pet getting caught up in it closing. It's a real safety concern that Ford should deal with sooner than later.

Hopefully they will at least fix the delayed auto setting. That setting has four hexadecimal digits for the timer. So with Forscan you could go to FFFF seconds or roughly a little over 18 hours door delay!!

OP
OP
R

roybus14

Reaction score
My first post here... I got a 2023 Expedition a couple of months ago and the running boards were driving me crazy for all the reasons described in this thread. My temper real started to boil after finding that the "out" setting doesn't remember after the next startup and the "5 minute delay auto" setting doesn't ever work. I went ahead and got Forscan setup on my laptop with a USB scanner.

I used this from above:
"Block 744-31-01 is the one where the stow delay times are for the running boards. The values stored are for seconds (represented in Hex)

**xx xxxx xxxx - Door Delay Config (This is how soon they stow once door is closed.) Factory setting was 04 (4 seconds) I changed ours to 3C (60 seconds)."

For my setup I used the highest value possible "FF" instead of "3C". This equates to 255 seconds or 4 minutes and 15 seconds. Now I have plenty of time to load and unload groceries or the dog from multiple doors and not worry about these stupid boards wearing out. I can even pop in and out of a store, post office or drop the dog off at day care and get back to the truck before they go in.

I still wish they would simply roll out when you put the car in park + open a door and then not come back in until the car is rolling forward in drive the next time. They should stay out a week if need be! Also, when I'm in drive and pulling away there is WAY less chance of a child or pet getting caught up in it closing. It's a real safety concern that Ford should deal with sooner than later.

Hopefully they will at least fix the delayed auto setting. That setting has four hexadecimal digits for the timer. So with Forscan you could go to FFFF seconds or roughly a little over 18 hours door delay!!
Sounds good. I would go thr Forscan route but I don’t want to give any reason to void my 8yr/100k extended warranty.

It’s a flaw that Ford needs to acknowledge and issue a warranty on them for covered replacement when these boards wear out from constant retracting.

USKflt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Below are the blocks I'm curious about. There is approach detection involved with this as well as noted in the TSB, my understanding is the Exped's should have it but it does not work on many of them. I was able to turn ours on with Forscan except for deployment of running boards on approach. Which i believe the F-150s do.

DSM (Driver's Seat Module)
744-23-01 - This one should be different as the trucks have a kick switch on the running boards.
744-23-02 - xxxx **xx xx-- *These will be 00 on trucks on 01 on SUVs
744-24-01
744-24-02
744-31-01 (This one is the running board delay times)

BCM (Body Control Module) - This is where approach detection lives
726-18-01
726-27-01
726-45-01

APIM
*the value to look at. There are multiple functions associated to this value, so depending how vehicle is equipped there can be different values. I listed the possible values for the approach detection and running board related settings).

7DO-09-01 - **** xxxx xx -- (*Approach Detection Control. On Values: 4, 5, 6, 7, C, D, E, or F)
7D0-09-02 - xxxx zzz* xx-- (* this is PRB control version 1. Possible On values: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, B, D, or F)
7D0-09-04 - xxxx x*xx xx-- (* should be either: 9, B, D, or F for truck) (1, 3, 5, or 7 would also be valid for PRB Auto Timer)
7D0-09-05 - xxxx xx*x xx-- (* this is for PRB version 2 on: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, B, D, or F means on version 2 anything else means on Version 1 or off)
Sorry for the delay on this. My truck ended up in the shop for a while with a cracked transmission pan at 2k miles. Joy. Below are the values I was able to pull from both of the vehicles. The first values shown are the Expedition ('22 Limited Max 303A) and the second are the F-150 ('23 Platinum PowerBoost). The Sync delay timer setting DOES work in the F-150. For 744-31-01, I showed the AsBuilt value for the Expedition. I have since changed it to extend the delay timer and it is now FF19-012C-19DB. I did my best on these not to fat finger anything, but let me know if you see anything screwy. I would love to hear details if you figure out the approach detection and turning it all on for the Expedition. I do like it a lot on my F-150 (when it works...).

DSM: Expedition / F-150

744-23-01: 0000-0000-006F / 0101-0001-0072
744-23-02: 0100-0101-73 / 0100-0000-0071
744-24-01: 0000-0000-0070 / 0019-1388-0B2F
744-24-02: 0000-71 / B864-8D
744-31-01: 0419-012C-19E0 / 0719-012C-19E3

BCM: Expedition / F-150

726-18-01: 0000-0000-0046 / 0101-0101-014B
726-27-01: 0001-1401-026D / 0101-1401-006C
726-45-01: 0100-0503-007C / 0101-F403-016D

APIM: Expedition / F-150

7D0-09-01: 6313-C2AF-FEC6 / 6317-C2A8-FEC3