Power steering? overdrive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lynn

Reaction score
2000 5.4 just turned over 100,000 miles. My power steering is starting to get louder. You can her it inside. I really can'nt hear a change standing out side next to it. Per ford I've used mercon ATF in it. Do I need to woorie it is all of a sudden go out on me? or is it just showing it's age. I did have a small leek that I traced to a loose clamp on the hose that looks it's going to a cooler up front. I never got low on fluid I just had to top it off.

Also when towing my 24 foot travel trailer does my overdrive need to be on or off? and can I use the cruise while towing?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't answer the power steering question, but about the overdrive thing, I think if it keeps going in and out of OD, you need to turn it off.

Granted, the only towing I've ever done was this little trailer full of trash, with 7 passengers, but that day, the tranny kept on shifting in and out of O/D every time I let go of the gas. I turned off O/D, and problem solved.

Now, for a 24 ft trailer, with you cruising along at a steady speed, I don't know if it would be slipping in and out, but I don't know if the weight of the trailer might be too much for the O/D gear.

As for using cruise control, I don't see why not since it's just something that pulls the throttle cable for you.

Again, these are just guesses since I'm no towing expert by any means.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1