Prerunner / Chase Expedition in the making

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the support guys!! I've actually started "Chasing" in 1990 for Mark Miller I was also his "Pace Truck" when the race cars had to get onto the freeway just outside of Parker. We had to make sure they did not break the speed limit on the freeway hahaa I also "Chased" for him intermittently thru the 90's and also had the chance to be part of Herzog motorsports in 2000 when they had the Trailblazers and the race was close to 2000 miles long!!!!. I mainly took photo's and did their website. Then I joined Arciero/Miller around 2002 and was Marks main and only chase guy (for ALL HIS PRERUNNING) during their quest for the win at the Baja Mil (1000) Mark and Ryan won the Baja 1000 in 2003 in the Trophy Truck Class. I am not a racer I am a photographer/videographer I designed logo's for some of the top Racers in the industry I did many graphics for desert race vehicles (Trophy and Class 1) as well as embroidery. That being said "Chase" trucks do not and has never "competed" in anyway shape or form. They are there for Support only. Many chase trucks are 4 door pickup trucks holding about 5 tires and wheels and race fuel as well as tools and a mechanic. There are other vehicles that aid in supporting the race teams like relaying times to the helicopter or rescuing a down vehicle. We always have Race Radios in the vehicle and are in constant communication with the other support vehicles. But at times it's nice to have a plush vehicle while driving up to Mikes Sky Ranch (in Baja) or other places like San Franciquito Baja. Many times the body takes a beating. Your right ***** I'm no racer. I'm a supporter. I shoot photo's and design logo's. Even the 'fire roads' can take a beating on a stock vehicle. Also, I am not finished with this truck. I'm not a rich guy, I work for a living like majority of the guys on here. Suspension is next. I appreciate the support from the other members and by the way I graduated High School in 1989 then I joined the Army. Here is a pic of my resume: (oh by the way, my name is Hunter Anderson I own Plan B Decals & design backpacks and tactical travel gear under the label of Black Heart. If you think I'm lying please call Lightning Larry Ragland, Mark Miller or Ryan Arciero. They will vouch for me. I didn't know I needed a resume to build a fun truck. It's also a marketing tool for my business. Maybe I'm lame, but I can tell you this: I am one of the slowest safest drivers on the street or driving in the desert. I only went fast when I owned a Honda XR250R even then I was the slowest guy in the pack. I'll post pics of the Bumper next week if it is finished.
BajaMiltrophy.jpg

Last edited:

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
rewarder nice response. do you have a website for black heart?

AaronLG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check and Mate. Lol. Very nice Expy. Can't wait to see more.

OP
OP
R

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, He may be referring to Dakar where the support vehicles do compete during the race. The Guy I chased for now races for VW and raced in Both Dakar Africa and Dakar Argentina. But being this is North America Chase Vehicles never competed. However, The $80,000.00 + (some are built for less than that!!) Prerunners can race in certain sanctioned races given they have all safety equipment. North America racing I'm referring to, is United States and Mexico. Dakar is in Africa now Dakar moved to Argentina due to safety concerns for the racers. WOW, now back to the truck:
4bf3f395.jpg
088045c5.jpg
e7c7686a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AaronLG, I like those wheels. I should have gone black on mine. They only had polished and they didn't know when the black ones were coming in. When I purchased my truck for 5K it came with the Rancho Lift but it had 16.5 wheels on it! Kinda hard to find tires for that rim size. So my choices were 16's or 17's but I chose 16's on 35's. The extra rubber helps with the wash board fire roads. It rides PLUSH!!!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but you can find 35s for 17s easier. its coming along good. slowly but its getting there. cant wait to see it when the front kit gets all put together.

OP
OP
R

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Panda don't tell me that!! I thought I was making the right decision. I was thinking smaller wheel bigger tire for the added cushion. So If I were to get new wheels in the future I should get 17's? Actually I asked the guy at Discount what wheel size is going to give me the least amount of headaches down the road, or if I was stuck in some small town and he and a couple of people both said 16's so that was my decision right there. I don't want headaches because of wheel size. Can you imagine if I still had the 16.5's on there? I didn't catch that until I brought the truck home. BUMMER.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I had no trouble finding rubber for 16's. Plus like you said.... way more sidewall. Nice to see the ***** troll never came back.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you want a lot cheaper tires and you dont mind some slightly used race tires you can get them for like $100 a tire off racedezert.com or even pirate4x4. but i do like 16s. they look better and have more rubber. but still you can find rubber for it, just not as easily as with 17s. and if you do upgrade and decide on bead locks or some other aftermarket wheel i would say get 17s. most bead locks dont even come in 16s. 15,17,20,22. but the 20 and 22 are for 40s+. haha