Prndl error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keelklan

Reaction score
2003 Expedition Prndl error, will not start

2003 Ford Expedition 5.4

Truck died and will not turn over, Get a PRNDL Error on display, Battery good, I get a buzzing sound from the fuse box under the dash?

Thanks

Duane

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the PCM relay (R203 in the fuse box, check owners manual for location). Does it have burnt plastic around one of the prongs?

Granted, when mine went out, my mileage display was a bunch of dashes.

Another possibility could be the gear selector. PRNDL seems like the gears? Make sure the lever is all the way in Park. Alternatively, try starting it in Neutral.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

keelklan

Reaction score
Replaced the PCM Relay, Tried to start it in neutral with no luck.

Read as much as I could find last night anf it looks like the PCM itself needs to be replaced!

Any Idea what it stands for and where its at?

Thanks

Duane

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the PCM relay burnt? If it was, then you need to replace the CJB (the fuse box), since they were defective, and causing a short (why the PCM relay was burnt). This only affected early 03 Expys. If the PCM relay was not burnt, then you don't need to do this.

Read this. Has a vid of the buzzing I was experiencing:

http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=3436&highlight=buzzing

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

keelklan

Reaction score
Will I think I found my trouble, the Circuit board that hold all the fuses under the kick panel on the passenger side had a burn spot on the connector that the PCM relay mounts into!

The connector was burned and the circuit on the back of the board was burned!

I will explain how to remove it with pictures of the board.

1. remove the kick plate panel and fuse box cover
2. Remove the 10mm nut on the side closest to the door and in the middle of the box
3. remove all connectors ( they will only fit back into there spot)
4. Remove the Ground connector on the side closest to the firewall, the cover over it has 2 very hard to get to release tabs!
5. Pull the fuse box out and lay it on a table with lots of room
6. There are 2 tabs on each side of the box, Use a screw driver to pry them up so you can remove the back
7. Lay the fuse box on the table and start removing the fuses and lay them IN THE ORDER like they are laid out in the fuse box, That way you can put them back the way the came
8. Remove the 8 to 10 female connectors on they blade side of the board, they just pull straight off!
9. Board will the pull out from the other side, Inspect and replace!
10. Reverse this order and have a Beer!

Attachments

• HPIM0169a.JPG
    HPIM0169a.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 2,535
  • HPIM0170a.JPG
    HPIM0170a.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 786
  • HPIM0171a.JPG
    HPIM0171a.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 706

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just took a picture of the fuses before I took them out. I did double check in the manual, just to be sure.

At least now you'll have a bunch of spare fuses and relays :)

Also, I guess it's a good thing your quit when it did. The second time mine quit, it quit while I was driving. Lost all engine power. At least it was a residential road, with lots of breaks in the median, where I had plenty of room to stop. Would have sucked to have it shut off in the middle of an intersection.

OP
OP
K

keelklan

Reaction score
It died on the highway 5 miles form the house! Towed it back with a chain! THAT SUCKED !

Anyway Father in Law bought a Salvage yard fusebox with all the fuses for $25, looked at the PCM relay before buying it and had not burn spots.

Came off a 2005 Expy

Will put it in this weekend, Have to work late tonight!

Thanks for the help!

Duane

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I think the problem only affected early build 2003 Expeditions, so you should be good.