Progaming Backup Aid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Does anyone know the procedure for programing a new backup aid module. I understand it requires driving the vehicle at a certain speed and stopping and doing some other weird stuff.
Bob

To answer your original question, lookup TSB 06-25-13 (or see attached). It also comes up when you Google "Ford DTC C1983" I'll copy and paste the procedure below (with some modified formatting for improved legibility...).

"
SERVICE PROCEDURE
  1. Use the IDS to run PAM self-test.
  2. If DTC C1983 is the only code present, replace the PAM referring to the physical replacement procedure in the on-line Workshop Manual (WSM). If other codes are present, repair other DTCs before continuing with this TSB.
  3. Refer to the following for the correct WSM section:
    1. Expedition/Navigator/Town Car: Section 413-13
    2. Lincoln LS: Section 413-00
  4. Reprogram the PAM using the following procedure:
    • a. Start vehicle and place transmission gear selector into Reverse (R), wait a minimum of 10 seconds.
    • b. Shift the gear selector into Drive (D), drive the vehicle ABOVE 25 MPH (40 Km/h) for a minimum of 15 seconds.
    • c. Stop the vehicle and cycle the key off, then back on.
    • d. Repeat Steps a, b, and c, three (3) more times for a total of four (4) times.
NOTE
THE IDS NOW HAS THE CAPABILITY TO CHECK THE PIDS FOR THE RADAR SENSORS. USE THESE PIDS TO VERIFY OPERATION OF THE TWO (2) RADAR SENSORS.
"

Attachments

• TSB_06-25-13.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 6

Jeff G

Reaction score
I purchased a new module and it worked right out of the box. I did the programming by following the instructions, but I am not sure it was necessary as it worked every time I put in reverse while driving it around programming it. I first replaced it with several out of the junk yard, but the problem never went away. It worked just fine in the morning until it reached about 70 degrees, then the beep and dreaded check back up aid messsge would appear. If it stayed cool all day, it would work all day. All of them did that until I bit the bullet and bought a new one. Works great now.