projector HID retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure they're the Gatling gun 2.0 square, square only designating they fit around the square projector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And those ballasts are 35 watts which explains the blue color, upgrade to 55 and they'll be crystal white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light color and the ballast wattage are not related. What makes the difference in the color is the temperature of the bulb. I'd always get the 6k bulb for the best color. others are either too yellow or to blue.

s5DHds8.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, I have the projectors in and the light output is night and day difference. The projectors and shrouds ended up being too big for the lenses but the projectors ended up fitting. The shrouds needed heavy trimming on the inside so they would slide further back to allow the lens to go on the reflector. I also had to trim the pass through holes on each side of the trucks header so the bulb connector would go through and another two cuts were made to allow the light to be aimed up properly.

My only complaint on my order is that I ordered 5500k as it looked white online but they are blueish in person . Oh well. Pictures to follow later today
How did you get the projectors to fit in the housing? I have the lightning style headlights and as much as i try, the projector lense hits the headlight lense

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The lenses on my setup do touch. I had a harder time getting the shroud to back up so I could even close the housing. As far as I remember, I was unable to back the projector off of the lens without risking the integrity of the reflector. I am going to pull my projectors out as they are to be fitted into my new daily driver. I will snap a couple of pics and try to write a guide on the cuts I made.

Reaction score
The lenses on my setup do touch. I had a harder time getting the shroud to back up so I could even close the housing. As far as I remember, I was unable to back the projector off of the lens without risking the integrity of the reflector. I am going to pull my projectors out as they are to be fitted into my new daily driver. I will snap a couple of pics and try to write a guide on the cuts I made.
On the picture you posted, it looked like it didnt touch at all. If you do end up doing the write up please lmk.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what projector and shroud are you using? my lens touched just barely, maybe the size of a large pen point if that i remember heating the housings to 290 or so to help make that lens flex some so that the butyl glue would hold. I didn't get any pics today since my ADD kicked in and I ended up super focused on getting the projectors into my Taurus headlights. I did look at what I did though. inside of the shroud I bored the inner part out in a way that made the projector sit deeper into the shroud, this backed the shroud off of the lens so that I could close the headlight. it took me about 8 to 12 cuts to get it. you can see in this picture around the projector lens there seems to be a black ring. this was not visible before I cut the shroud back and as far as moving the projector back, you have very limited potions that might get you a couple mm shorter.

Reaction score
what projector and shroud are you using? my lens touched just barely, maybe the size of a large pen point if that i remember heating the housings to 290 or so to help make that lens flex some so that the butyl glue would hold. I didn't get any pics today since my ADD kicked in and I ended up super focused on getting the projectors into my Taurus headlights. I did look at what I did though. inside of the shroud I bored the inner part out in a way that made the projector sit deeper into the shroud, this backed the shroud off of the lens so that I could close the headlight. it took me about 8 to 12 cuts to get it. you can see in this picture around the projector lens there seems to be a black ring. this was not visible before I cut the shroud back and as far as moving the projector back, you have very limited potions that might get you a couple mm shorter.
Thanks for the info! The projectors and shrouds im using are the "O" lens mini d2s with the standard gatlin gun shrouds 1.0.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d been meaning to address this on my Expy for quite some time now. A couple years ago, I picked up a cheap set of clear lenses from Amazon but they didn’t really help much with light output, and have been difficult to get aimed properly.

I finally pulled the trigger on a new set of lamps about a month ago. I went with Anzio for about $335. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038AZMU2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01) These look decent, put out reasonable light with halogens, better with cheap HIDs, but the metal casing that holds the adjustment bracket in broke in several places right away. I ended up returning these.

Decided to give this another shot and went for a cheaper ($142) pair of Spyder lenses. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0170TMB8W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00) These were cheaper due to LED Halos. These broke in the same way. The problem seems to be that the metal quality is garbage on the casing. It sort of crumbles into dust.

Went for one more figuring I would be careful this time and I was only interested in a set that had CCFL halos. I got the same as above but with the CCFLs. ($220) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W4OR40?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) These are still on the truck. I was able to reinforce them a bit before install. Ufortunately, the projectors on these are somehow screwed up. They’re putting out all kinds of streaks. I put in a set of HIDs and while better they’re still not right. Pretty sure I will be returning these and doing the retrofit you guys are doing in this thread.

Here is what I’m considering:

BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III (D2S) (O Lense LHD $315)
Morimoto XB ignitor
E55-R Shroud with 80mm XSB switchback Halo ($51)
35w Morimoto ballasts
DS2 XB 4500k bulbs
Motocontrol bi-xenon 9007/9004 harness
Grey Rubber seal ($12)
Total $378

Is this complete? I guess I would be picking up a 2nd set of cheap (maybe blacked out?) headlamps to install all this in so I could get matching corners. Any suggestions on alternatives to the above list if I go with this retrofit?

I’m also giving some thought to this setup, (Amazon.com: Depo 330-1119PXASC2 Headlight Projector with Park Lamp and Black Bezel: Automotive), Supposedly quality stuff, but it seems they’ve got them setup so the projectors are the high beams, which is the opposite of what everyone wants..

Attachments

• IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2029.jpg
    IMG_2029.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2030.jpg
    IMG_2030.jpg